It just seemed to happen so fast. Week after week, many fans would call for Brady Quinn to take over the starting quarterback job. With every effort, we were met with a vague answer from head coach Romeo Crennel, with basically meant "Derek Anderson is my guy". Four days ago, Anderson was still our starting quarterback. Today, he's not.
After sitting on the bench for a year and a half, Quinn will make his debut as a starting quarterback in the NFL. Quinn said it best -- even though it's a short week, there is no room for excuses. He's been preparing for this type of opportunity every week, and he'll get his first crack against perhaps the worst defense we've faced all season. Granted, that may skew his production compared to the tough defenses Anderson has faced, but in the end, all that matters is that "W" on the board.
One drawback for Quinn is that he is not expected to have all of the pieces to the puzzle healthy tonight:
- Eric Steinbach: Facing a muscle pull in his rib cage, backup Seth McKinney is expected to get the start in his place. Our strong offensive line is wearing down, with Lennie Friedman and Ryan Tucker already on the injured reserve.
- Lawrence Vickers: It looks like Vickers will miss another game, as he is listed as doubtful. Charles Ali would get the start again, meaning Quinn loses the option to pass the ball to his fullback.
- Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams: Both guys are listed as questionable, but I'm just hoping that's only a precaution since this is a short week. Williams has a shoulder injury, while Rogers is facing a rib injury.
- Donte Stallworth: He is listed as probable with a quadriceps injury, which is a pretty good sign. Having him as another option for Quinn would be huge. He practiced on a limited basis Tuesday.
- Darnell Dinkins: He has a hamstring injury and is listed as questionable.
The Broncos are ranked 29th in the league defensively, and what's better news than that for us is that the Browns can take their pick in regards to the method they choose to attack Denver. The Broncos are ranked 26th at stopping the run and 27th at stopping the pass.
On the same note though, our defense will be tested. Denver is ranked 3rd in offense this season.
Will the Browns Defeat the Broncos in Quinn's Debut?
Yes (62 votes)
No (15 votes)
77 total votes