|CLEVELAND BROWNS (0-1)||GAME #2||NEW YORK GIANTS (0-1)|
|Date:||August 18, 2008||Location:||E. Rutherford, NJ
|Time:||8:00 p.m. ET
|TV:||ESPN (or FOX, Ch. 8)
||Favorite:||Giants by 2
|Radio:||WMMS, 100.7 FM||Over/Under:||35|
|SBN Coverage:||Big Blue View||Injury Report:
Of all the teams in the National Football League, the Browns and the Giants had to wait the longest before playing their second preseason game. They'll do so on the brightest stage of them all: on Monday Night Football.
Yes, that means we lose one of our coveted Bernie Kosar-announced games, but since we play three games in a span of 13 days, we'll be hearing plenty of him in no time. The Browns are pretty healthy on the injury front -- besides the players that have had surgery, it looks like the only player that will sit out is WR Kevin Kasper again (and of course, Braylon Edwards).
Pre-Game Digest (more to be added if as the day moves along if necessary):
- We're going to get a great look at our defensive line this week, compared to the mere taste we got against the Jets last week. Corey Williams has been practicing consistently and should see reps like a starter would. Although Shaun Rogers missed the last two days of practice before the game, he is expected to start.
- Quarterback Eli Manning will reportedly play 25 snaps. Last week, he was pulled after 13 snaps, which was right at the end of the first quarter. The Giants' 23rd offensive snap last week came with around 4:00 left in the first half. So, Manning should play most of the entire first half, unless he really torches our defense for two methodical drives in his first two attempts.
- Most, but not all, of the Browns starters are expected to play the first half. No word on whether or not Derek Anderson would stay in for a two-minute drill if the opportunity presents itself.
- As noted earlier in the week, Travis Wilson will start in place of Edwards. This is Wilson's big chance; we'll see how he takes advantage of it. It'll be interesting to see if the Browns give Steve Sanders some reps to spell Wilson though -- maybe like a 60/40 split of reps.
- This may be the last chance for players on the bubble to make an impression. Time for guys like David McMillan, Chase Pittman, Melila Purcell, and Louis Leonard to try and creep towards a roster spot before a youngster takes it away from them.
- I'm really looking forward to seeing how early Travis Key gets into the game, and how much of an impact he will make. He seemed to be all over the place in practice after the Browns signed him. If history repeats itself though, it'll be someone like Brandon Mitchell who throws a curveball and makes a late-game pick.
- Former Browns RB Reuben Droughns is on the Giants' roster still. Last week, he had 4 carries for 6 yards with a lost fumble.
- The Browns cornerbacks aren't going to be getting a top-notch test this week. Starters Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer will not play, and it doesn't look great for No. 3 receiver Steve Smith either. Sinorice Moss, the brother of the Redskins' Santana Moss, may get the start.
- The Browns will be wearing brown pants, white tops, orange helmets, brown socks, and black shoes. The new element is the brown pants, of course. The uniform is being used as a "feeler" for Browns fans -- if the reception is positive, it may carry over to a regular season contest. The picture of Joshua Cribbs to the right/above is the only teaser the team's official site would give us (love the great shot of the pants, eh?).
This is the official gameday thread for the Cleveland Browns' second preseason game of the season, as they do battle with the New York Giants in prime time. All comments regarding the game as it goes on and immediately following the game should remain in this thread. Enjoy the game, and GO BROWNS!!!