|CLEVELAND BROWNS (0-2)||GAME #3||DETROIT LIONS (2-0)|
|Date:||August 23, 2008||Location:||Detroit, MI
|Time:||4:00 p.m. ET
|TV:||NFL (or WKYC, Ch. 3)
||Favorite:||Lions by 3
|Radio:||WMMS, 100.7 FM||Over/Under:||41|
|SBN Coverage:||Pride of Detroit||Injury Report:
The third preseason game is usually intended to be the No. 1 test of how your team will operate during the regular season. By default, we're not going to have that chance. Six key players will miss this today's game against the Lions, including QB Derek Anderson, RB Jamal Lewis, WR Braylon Edwards, WR Joshua Cribbs, LB Willie McGinest, and S Brodney Pool.
Nonetheless, the game will be one to watch. We're going to get our first look at QB Brady Quinn as a starter, and I'd expect him to see at least a series into the third quarter. The most ecstatic player on the team should be QB Ken Dorsey, since third-string quarterbacks usually don't play in the third preseason game.
Pre-Game Digest (more to be added if as the day moves along if necessary):
- I'd expect us to get a look at CB Travis Daniels some time during the first half if the Lions spread the field with four wide receivers at some point. Remember, Daniels has been working with the Miami Dolphins the whole offseason now, so it's not like we need to "ease" him into things.
- It'll be interesting to see who will get the start at wide receiver opposite of Donte Stallworth. Travis Wilson did not look good last week, but neither did a lot of other players. I'm banking on the coaching staff giving Wilson another shot against a less aggressive defense.
- How much of a role will Kevin Kasper play? He has returned to practice this week, and although his chances are slim, I still think the team would favor him over Steve Sanders if he produces.
- This should be the day to decide who the backup running back will be. Jason Wright really hasn't had a lot of reps, so I think the team will try to work him in early before handing the load off to Jerome Harrison during the second and third quarters.
- Shaun Rogers is going to be facing his former team, but I could really care less about that. What I do care about is seeing our starting defensive line together for the first time this preseason: Robaire Smith, Corey Williams, and Rogers. The Lions aren't known for their running game, so we'd better see some nice stuffs early on.
- Rookie linebacker Alex Hall could get the start in place of the injured McGinest. I can't imagine that boding well for David McMillan, but I'm all for seeing what Hall can bring to the table.
- The Lions will use former Browns CB Leigh Bodden as a backup for now, as opposed to a starter. Looks like we got the better end of the deal, eh? I wouldn't be surprised to see Bodden lined up in the nickel defense early on though.
- This is the final game for five players to make a name for themselves. Not too long after the game, the Browns will have to trim their roster from 80 to 75 players. My early projections: DB Brandon Mitchell, RB Austin Scott, TE Kolo Kapanui, OL Jonathan Palmer, and DL Brian Schaefering.
- Because Harrison and Wright are more capable pass catchers than Lewis, I'd like to see us try some more screen plays -- particularly in the first quarter. We have been unbelievably poor in executing screens this preseason, and that's something we need to master before our opener against the Dallas Cowboys.
- The Lions signed QB Drew Henson on Friday after second-year QB Drew Stanton sprained his thumb. I wouldn't expect Henson to play against Cleveland unless an emergency arises.
This is the official gameday thread for the Cleveland Browns' third preseason game of the season, as they fight for pride against the Detroit Lions. All comments regarding the game as it goes on and immediately following the game should remain in this thread. Enjoy the game, and GO BROWNS!!!