|CHICAGO BEARS (0-3)||GAME #4||CLEVELAND BROWNS (0-3)|
|Date:||August 28, 2008||Location:||Cleveland, OH
|Time:||7:30 p.m. ET
|TV:||WKYC, Ch. 3
||Favorite:||Browns by 2
|Radio:||WMMS, 100.7 FM||Over/Under:||38.5|
|SBN Coverage:||Windy City Gridiron||Injury Report:
Whether they like it or not, one of these teams is finishing the preseason with a win.
The Browns have not played too well in the preseason, but at least expectations are still high. The same can't be said for the Bears though -- I'm sorry, but I believe the Rex Grossman / Kyle Orton quarterback battle was far worse than the battle between Tim Couch / Kelly Holcomb. Give me Couch and Holcomb any day over Grossman and Orton. The Bears at least made the right decision with who they have to work with though, choosing Orton as their starter a few weeks ago.
What do the Browns need to accomplish today? I don't really expect anything out of any team in the fourth preseason game -- it's a "why bother" type of contest, unless the coach is trying to decide who the 53rd man on his roster should be still. Now, let's get to some pre-game digest...
Pre-Game Digest(more to be added if as the day moves along if necessary):
- We didn't see much of CB Travis Daniels last week, but he did play in the game (probably on special teams). I would like to see him with the second-team defense to test at what level he's ready to contribute on opening day.
- Over at the OBR, a user stated that Bernie Kosar, who was on Tony Rizzo's radio show, overheard Romeo Crennel telling the team that the first units would be on the field "until they looked good". That is such a loose phrase though; one average field goal drive during the first quarter is probably sufficient.
- The injury list at this point might as well read "all starters have the fourth preseason game off". In reality, most of them could probably play if they needed to, but will justifiably be held out until next week.
- The players ruled out are the same as last week: QB Derek Anderson, RB Jamal Lewis, WR Braylon Edwards, WR Joshua Cribbs, LB Willie McGinest, S Sean Jones, and S Brodney Pool.
- There are still wide receiver jobs to be won, but I simply do not see how one of the spots could go to Paul Hubbard. Two spots will be available for sure between Travis Wilson, Steve Sanders, and Syndric Steptoe.
- There is a different story brewing at the cornerback position. It looks as though our top for cornerbacks we'll be Brandon McDonald, Eric Wright, Terry Cousin, and Travis Daniels. We could carry a fifth, but that's not a guarantee. The battle is between Jereme Perry, A.J. Davis, and Gerard Lawson. I originally had Perry on my 53-man roster, but this game may sway me to Davis or Lawson.
- It's not out of the question that we'll only run with three safeties, but I see us going with four. Nick Sorensen and Mike Adams will start at safety again, so it's there backup positions to lose.
- I believe this will be David McMillan's final game in a Cleveland Browns uniform, especially with the rumblings that Antwan Peek will be ready-to-go for Week 1.
- Unfortunately for the Cieslak brothers, I think this will be Brad Cieslak's final appearance with the Browns too. Crennel and company seem set at tight end, barring them placing Martin Rucker on the injured reserve. Either way, I'd like to thank A. Cieslak for his contributions to our community.
- BREAKING NEWS: Dallas Cowboys cornerback Pacman Jones has been reinstated to the NFL, and will be facing the Browns in Week 1. Our third receiver better be ready, because Jones will probably be playing the nickel to start the season.
- Moohead will be streaming the game online in great quality, if things go as planned.
This is the official gameday thread for the Cleveland Browns' fourth and final preseason game, as they try to come away with their first victory against the also winless Chicago Bears. All comments regarding the game as it goes on and immediately following the game should remain in this thread. Enjoy the game, and GO BROWNS!!!