It's one of the more exciting days as a fan to find out who will be available on gameday during the regular season, but for those who have been cut, it has to feel like a downer. Overall, my projections were pretty good, but there was a shocker -- the removal of wide receiver Travis Wilson. You have to wonder if that one dropped catch against the Bears cost him everything.
FINAL TRANSACTIONS (TO GET ROSTER DOWN TO 53)
- WR Travis Wilson - I wouldn't be surprised if he still gets brought back at some point though, if we run into another injury.
- WR Steve Sanders
- WR Efrem Hill
- WR Lance Leggett
- TE Brad Cieslak - Good luck to wherever he goes next.
- TE Kolomona Kapanui
- OL James Lee - I hope to see him on the practice squad.
- OL Jonathan Palmer
- DL Melila Purcell
- LB David McMillan - A shame he never caught on.
- LB Chase Ortiz
- DB A.J. Davis
- DB Jereme Perry
- DB Travis Key - Big-time playmaker in little time with the Browns; hope to see him on the practice squad.
- DB Brandon Mitchell
- K Jason Reda - If Dawson gets hurt, I think he did enough to get the first phone call.
- RB Travis Thomas
- OL Derrick Morse
- OL Marvin Philip
- DL Chase Pittman
- LB Shantee Orr
- OL Lennie Friedman
Here are some of players who were on the bubble and made the final 53-man roster:
POSSIBLE SURPRISES (THEY MADE THE FINAL ROSTER)
- WR Syndric Steptoe - His strong preseason effort paid off, and I'm sure his progress on kick returns helped him in case Joshua Cribbs gets banged up again.
- WR Paul Hubbard - This is probably a fairness issue -- they gave Travis Wilson several years to develop before cutting ties with him, so why not give Hubbard at least a year to progress?
- OL Nate Bennett - With Lennie Friedman being placed on the injured reserve (speaking of which, when did he get banged up?), Bennett takes his roster spot. I don't think anyone could've projected this one unless they had inside information on Friedman.
- OL Isaac Sowells - My reasons hold true. Take that, doubters! ;)
- DL Louis Leonard - He adds some versatility, because he can play nose tackle or defensive end.
- DL Ahtyba Rubin - Showed more progress in his first camp than Babatunde Oshinowo seemed to.
- DB Gerard Lawson - He had some trouble tackling in the final preseason game, but I thought his awareness level was a little higher than the rest of the guys trying to make the team. He's also taken a few reps at kick and punt return -- if Cribbs is out Week 1, the Browns could put Steptoe at kick returner and Lawson at punt returner (or Lawson could do both if Steptoe is out for a week too).
Leave your thoughts on the cuts here. I correctly projected 49/53 roster spots, which is 92.4% accuracy. Grade me with an "A" ;). I will be updating this post shortly with a little note next to some of the players.
Which roster decision are you most surprised about?
Paul Hubbard over Travis Wilson & Steve Sanders (104 votes)
Shantee Orr getting the boot (71 votes)
Isaac Sowells making the final roster (24 votes)
199 total votes