There won't be any more two-a-day training camp sessions for the Browns this season. In fact, there are only four practices open to the public remaining -- this Thursday, and then next week Monday-Wednesday. All of those practices will be held in the afternoon.
I don't know if I remember a Browns training camp having such good weather. Sure, it's hot, but the team has not been forced to move to the indoor facility yet, and it really only rained during one session this August.
TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 19 (8/19/09)
- Tucker Missing in Action: It's not looking good for Ryan Tucker's odds of being in the starting lineup Week 1, which would go against what most of us expected in our training camp previews. Tucker left Monday's session with an apparent injury, and he was no where to be found Wednesday. When asked if this had anything to do with him considering retirement again, the team responded "no".
- Scouting the Lions: Much of the session focused on preparing for the Detroit Lions this weekend. There are two former Browns players you might be interested in following on the Lions. First up is WR Dennis Northcutt, who is listed as a starter or the equivalent of Mike Furrey's role with us. The other guy is DT Shaun Smith, who isn't even close to first-string.
- Heiden Drops a Pair: It was an off day for TE Steve Heiden. Close to the end of practice, a drill was run with 1:30 on the clock at their own 24-yard line with no timeouts and a 16-10 deficit. Brady Quinn didn't manage a first down, thanks to Heiden dropping passes on second and fourth down.
- Same Drill, With Anderson: In the same drill, QB Derek Anderson had some support from our second-round picks. He hit WR Brian Robiskie for gains of 16- and 24-yards to move the ball down the field, and eventually capped the drive with a 20-yard touchdown to WR Mohamed Massaquoi.
- Back-to-Back Jacks: The play of the day came when Brady Quinn connected with WR Braylon Edwards on a deep ball for a 65-yard touchdown over DB Corey Ivy. A little bit later though, Derek Anderson responded with a deep ball of his own to WR Lance Leggett. Quinn ran with the first-team on the day, but both quarterbacks ended up playing pretty decent.
- Slowly Progressing? Rapid Reports suggests that the number of mistakes in practice are starting to go down for first-round center Alex Mack. Either way, Hank Fraley looks to be a roster lock at this point.
- Injury List: Still not practicing was LB Titus Brown. Working with the trainers were NT Shaun Rogers, LB David Bowens, WR David Patten, WR Paul Hubbard, RB Jerome Harrison, and TE Robert Royal.
- Mum on QB Decision: As he did last week, Eric Mangini will not reveal who will start at quarterback for the Browns this Saturday. Expect a decision to not be publicly announced until a few hours before kickoff.
Wednesday's Links/Camp Sources
- QB battle could last awhile (Akron Beacon Journal, Ridenour)
- Center is only uncertainty as offensive line settles in (Cleveland Plain Dealer, Grossi)
- Tucker missing but has not retired (Canton Repository, Doerschuk)
- Wednesday camp notes (Orange and Brown Report, Greetham)