Only 53 men can make the make the Cleveland Browns final roster, and the final cuts are due by Saturday at 4 PM. Besides making their own cuts, the Browns' front office will be watching the waiver wire as well to see if there are any "surprise" cuts who would be welcome additions to our team.
Here is my second and final official roster projection for the 2009-2010 NFL season, taking into consideration how things have gone throughout training camp and how I expect Mangini to react:
Here are some notes about my roster:
53-Man Roster Projection Notes
- One of the biggest "wow" factors will be if Jamal Lewis gets cut. Today, Adam Schefter of ESPN listed Lewis as one of the "bubble" players on his list. Lewis has not looked very quick in training camp, while James Davis has taken advantage of Jerome Harrison being out. I just don't see us outright cutting Lewis.
- The following offensive players are gone from the "Final Roster" column since my pre-training camp projection: George Foster, Ryan Tucker.
- Taking their spots on offense are Hank Fraley and David Patten. I'm not fond of having six receivers, but I don't think we'll be seeing much of Brian Robiskie early on this season, except maybe on special teams. I also added Isaac Sowells, which literally kills me to do so. As many of you know, I am not fond of Sowells' abilities. But, we need tackle depth and he has the most experience there.
- The following defensive players are gone from the "Final Roster" column since my pre-training camp projection: Shaun Smith, Roderick Hood.
- Taking their spots on defense are Gerard Lawson, with no replacement defensive lineman. Lawson can contribute on special teams and serve as the backup returner to Cribbs.
- Most of the players who could make the 53-man roster as a surprise are the players I've put on the practice squad (denoted by an *). Specifically, these players include Bret Lockett (who could make it over Nick Sorensen) and Marucs Benard (who could make it over Leon Williams). Beau Bell could also make it instead of Benard. I'd really like to keep Blake Costanzo; our special teams has been fantastic this preseason.
- I don't think Chris Jennings makes the roster unless we make a surprise cut of Jerome Harrison. However, I still think Noah Herron has a good chance of making it over Charles Ali. Ultimately, I'm taking Ali because of Vickers' injury problems last year.
- Brett Ratliff probably won't clear the waiver wire, but Richard Bartel will. I like Bartel over Ratliff at this point, but doing it this way allows us to retain both of them, considering what we invested in Ratliff.
- We should carry three tight ends. I think the questions of Steve Heiden making the roster or not are a thing of the past, considering Martin Rucker and Aaron Walker have done very little this preseason.
- If we keep a seventh defensive lineman, I guess it would be Santonio Thomas.
Please leave your own roster notes as a response to this post!