The Browns have made their roster cuts.
First off, the Cleveland Browns activated defensive lineman Shaun Rogers from the physically unable to perform list. That's good news, because it means he might be available to play by Week 1. At the very least, he won't be out for six weeks.
The following players were cut by the Cleveland Browns, trimming their roster from 75 to the league required 53 players. Make sure you react to all of the cuts in the comments section below! The final 53-man roster is also at the bottom of this post.
(Key: Expected Cut, Highlighted/Notable Cut, Shocker Cut)
OFFENSIVE PLAYERS CUT
- QB Brett Ratliff - He was victimized in the preseason by drops from receivers like Jake Allen. Still, we don't really need four quarterbacks on the roster, so I don't see this as a big loss.
- RB Chris Jennings - After Hardesty's season-ending injury, it was surprising to see Jennings gone. When you think about it though, if the team considers Peyton Hillis a fullback, then we do have three running backs.
- WR Bobby Engram - I wouldn't have minded keeping the veteran wideout, but the team went with youth instead.
- WR Jake Allen - No surprise given he had two horrible drops in the final preseason game, one that led to an interception. He's also made several blunders at the receiver position in other preseason games.
- WR Syndric Steptoe - He was a former seventh-round pick who happened to stick around awhile. I thank him for his cool name, but after several years, it was clear he really couldn't benefit our offense.
- TE Joel Gamble - We didn't get a long look at the young tight end, but he was already released once so this wasn't a surprise.
- OT Scott Kooistra - This was certainly a surprise, but I guess the Browns are comfortable with veterans St. Clair and Womack filling in. Either way, we don't have a decent backup left tackle should anything ever happen to Joe Thomas.
- OT Joel Reinders - We finally saw our YouTube project in action against the Bears for a few series. His highlights were allowing a pass rusher to easily blow by him and then to receive a lecture from Mangini on the sideline. There's still an off chance he could be on the practice squad for development.
- OG Casey Bender - Bender had no shot at making the final roster, and neither did Fanaika below. They either didn't get reps in the preseason, or were a part of the offensive line that kept getting McCoy and Ratliff killed.
- OG Paul Fainaka - See above.
- OG Pat Murray - See above.
DEFENSIVE PLAYERS CUT
- DE Clifton Geathers - The Browns will probably try to find room for the massive Geathers on their practice squad. He was a sixth-rounder for the team this year.
- DE C.J. Mosley - With Brian Schaefering coming on strong, this wasn't too big of a surprise I guess. On that note, I would've thought we would've just left him on the PUP for six weeks in case we needed him.
- DT Travis Ivey - He was barely with the team, and with Rogers coming off the PUP, he wasn't really needed.
- DT Swanson Miller - See above.
- DL Brian Sanford - See above.
- CB Coye Francies - Can we please try to get Francies on the practice squad? He has a knack for taking a chance at making the tackle at the line of scrimmage rather than waiting for a receiver/runner to come to him.
- CB Brandon McDonald - This is probably the biggest surprise given the news that Gerard Lawson and Coye Francies had already been cut. This either means we will keep the extra safeties for special teams help,
or someone like Chris Chancellor or DeAngelo Smith will sneak on the roster. If nothing else, we could probably find a veteran corner who was cut from a different team and sign him.
- CB DeAngelo Smith - It's not necessarily a surprise that Smith was cut, but it is when you consider the team only kept three cornerbacks total.
- CB Chris Chancellor - See above.
- S Larry Asante - While still an alarming cut, I still felt this one was coming. He had some hard hits in the final preseason game, but really didn't stand out in camp. He is another practice squad candidate.
FORMER BROWNS PLAYERS WAIVED
- QB Graham Harrell (Packers)
- QB Richard Bartel (Redskins)
- WR Jerious Norwood (Eagles)
- TE Martin Rucker (Cowboys)
- OL Isaac Sowells (Bengals)
- OT Kirk Chambers (Bills)
- LB Matt Stewart (Steelers)
- DT Amon Gordon (Seahawks)
- DT Orien Harris (Bengals)
- LB Alex Hall (Giants)
- DB Nate Ness (Dolphins)
FINAL 53-MAN ROSTER (on 9/4/10)
-John St. Clair