Welcome to Week 6 of the 2011 NFL season, and the latest edition of the Fantasy Football Feature. If you’re not yet familiar, this is a fantasy football mash-up open thread. Feel free to throw out any sit/start troubles your having, or any other fantasy football related questions, thoughts, ideas you might have or even have live trade negotiation.
Week 5 Big Surprise Performers:
Continuing his weekly climb in points, Green Bay's James Jones (20.00) topped had another personal best fantasy week of this season, with 140 yards and a touchdown, 65% of which came on a single reception. Doug Balwin (19.60), who's sharing Seattle targets with Sidney Rice, got the bulk of them this week. On 8 catches, he put up 136 yards and a TD. The Jag's number two WR, Jason Hill, also had a big TD reception, that accounted for almost all of his 17.80 points. The Pitt receiver we all love to hate, Hines Ward (17.40), finally had a respectable outing this season catching 7 passes, including 2 TDs. Steve Breaston (17.00) was a big part of KC's comeback victory against the winless Colts. Oakland's shocking 2010 first round pick, Darrius Heyward-Bey (15.90), seems to be on the rise, following up last weeks decent game with another, as they upset Houston. The only real major surprise as far as quarterbacks this week, came from 32% owned Matt Cassel (27.48). As I mentioned before, KC fought there way back down 7-24 to Indy, behind Cassel's 4 total TD passes.
Working the Wire:
Keep in mind, owners vary in every league so some of these guys are going to be harder to grab than others. The UDBNFL waiver wire, for example, is still fierce. (*The ownership percentage is going up on these guys every minute, so they are not exact.)
- Darrius Heyward-Bey (Oak-WR-32.30) - Owned in 13% of Yahoo! Leagues - DEEP - Of course the Raiders are really getting it done on the ground with Darren McFadden, but H-Bey is on the rise. The upcoming game should be revealing.
- James Jones (GB-WR-34.80) - Owned in 15% of Yahoo! Leagues - DEEP - Aaron Rodgers is spreading the ball around. Greg Jennings to going to get his, but the number two changes. Nelson is a better bet, but already wrapped up.
- Earnest Graham (TB-RB-22.70) - Owned in 18% of Yahoo! Leagues - DEEP - With Blount suffering an injury for at least this week, Graham could prove to be a decent start if your really desperate for a starting RB due to bye weeks.
- Buffalo (DEF-54.00) - Owned in 16% of Yahoo! Leagues - DEEP - This is the first I've mentioned a defense/special teams in this piece. Buffalo deserves the honor, quietly being one of the more consistent fantasy scoring defenses.
- Tim Tebow (Den-QB-16.86) - Owned in 16% of Yahoo! Leagues - DEEP - He's really become a hot commodity since Sunday. I'm not ready to buy it. I understand he does work on rushing, which is good for a fantasy QB, but I don't trust him yet.
- Delone Carter (Ind-RB-16.60) - Owned in 14% of Yahoo! Leagues - DEEP - On twelve carries this past Sunday against KC, Carter only managed to gain 22 yards. One of those happened to be a short run for a TD. I don't expect much more from him.
Unofficial DBN Fan League Standings:
Click here to view the full size.
Good luck in Week 6!
*Scores mentioned in the article are based on the Yahoo! Sports default settings, utilized by the Unofficial DBN Fan League.