Cleveland Browns head coach Pat Shurmur met with the local media on Monday and provided a lot of updates on injured players. There were a lot of players who were banged up after Sunday's game against the Seahawks, so let's get right into things.
- RB Peyton Hillis - "[Hillis] ran today and he’s progressing well and again, he’s day-to-day."
- WR Mohamed Massaquoi - "Massaquoi left the game with a concussion and he’s day-to-day as well, we’ll see how he progresses."
- TE Benjamin Watson - "Watson left the game as well with a concussion and he’ll be day-to-day."
- OG Shawn Lauvao - "He left the game and he has a knee bruise and so he’s day-to-day."
- OT Joe Thomas - "Thomas has a little bit of a glute strain, but he’s fine."
- S Ray Ventrone - "Ventrone started the game as we knew he had a hamstring issue early in the week. Started the game and then couldn’t finish, he was out of the game quickly."
- CB Joe Haden - "Haden who did play, as you might expect, is a little bit sore today, but I don’t think we set him back in any way and he played an outstanding game."
- K Phil Dawson - "He had a little bit of a thigh contusion early in the game. He actually gutted it out pretty good and so I wanted to mention that to you. He probably won’t be kicking early in the week because he’s a little bit sore. He didn’t have any setbacks as the game went on and I don’t want to predict what it’s going to be like for Sunday, but we’re anticipating he’ll be there." Regarding how Dawson got hurt, "Earlier in the game I can’t tell you specifically. As the game went along Joe (Sheehan) said, ‘hey, he’s got a thigh bruise."
All things considered, all of this sounded like good news. The biggest surprise was the injury to Dawson, but considering the guy kicked two 50+ yard field goals, he's probably good-to-go. Hearing that Hillis started running and is day-to-day makes it sound like he'll be able to go against a tough 49ers run defense. I'd question whether Watson and Massaquoi will be able to play. People heal differently from them; for example, Scott Fujita has already been out for over a week because of his. Lastly, I'd be real interested in seeing who did better blocking between Lauvao and John Greco.