Cleveland Browns starting quarterback Colt McCoy was interviewed on the Really Big Show with Tony Rizzo this morning. You can listen to his interview here (if it is still available). Some of what he said is just a rehash of previous comments, but here are some notes I took:
- He was glad he got to play this year and thinks the experience will be huge heading into next year.
- Holmgren told McCoy he was bringing in a coach to help develop him in Pat Shurmur, who will be calling the plays.
- McCoy has been told he is the starter heading into training camp. It'll be a much different approach for training camp this year now that he knows he is the guy and will get more reps.
- Regarding his shoulder, he feels he really will be healthy next season. It was a nerve injury, so he just had to give it time to let it heal.
- Deep down, McCoy always knew he could play at this level. It was hard to hear last year before the season that expectations were that he would sit and learn for the year; thankful for experience to get in sooner than expected.
- How West Coast is the offense? It is a different scheme than last year of course...if you look at a guy like Aaron Rodgers, he is really clicking. He is looking forward to it and a lot of guys are really excited about it.
- Team needs to compete against teams in the division. Loves the way the city responds when this team shows it can win.
- Will be coaching in the DirectTV celebrity beach ball event on Saturday at the Super Bowl against Eli Manning.
McCoy also appeared on PFT Live, but I did not watch that. Check it out if you wish.
UPDATE: Tony Grossi also just posted an article with some more of McCoy's direct quotes.