I approached Chris about doing an off topic post that's a little different than the "what's your favorite ______?" posts that we've had so far, and he liked it. So, here goes:
You're going to be stranded on a deserted island for 2 years. Let's assume the island is tropical, like those in Gilligan's Island or Castaway. You can take only 5 things with you. (Guidelines are listed after the jump)
1. You get to take any prescription medications you may have, so you don't have to choose those.
2. You get to take any contact lenses or glasses you may have, so you don't have to choose those (but contact solution isn't included...)
3. You get one outfit of clothing, which includes one shirt, one pair of pants, and one pair of shoes, so you don't have to choose those.
4. If you choose a gun, you only get 25 rounds of ammunition; a bow and arrow, and you only get 25 arrows, etc.
5. If you choose a liquid substance (gas, water), you only get 10 gallons of it; if you choose a solid substance (grain, nuts) you only get 10 pounds of it; if you take rope, you only get 20 feet of it. This eliminates saying "I'd take an unlimited supply of water and an unlimited supply of grain."
6. You can't choose a boat or an airplane to leave the island; that would defeat the whole idea of the post.
I'm sure the sharp people on DBN will find some loopholes, but let's get started. Since I've obviously thought about this, I'll withhold my list to allow you guys to come up with your lists on your own. What 5 items would you take with you to the island?