Jason Miller - Getty Images
- "Scott Fujita goes on the offensive against NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell" (Plain Dealer) - "In a strongly worded statement released to the media, Browns linebacker Scott Fujita blasted NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell today, sounding like a player eager to continue the fight to clear his name in the New Orleans bounty probe."
- "Pat Shurmur has thick skin for handling criticism" (Morning Journal) - "Pat Shurmur, criticized for the way he handles criticism and second-guessing, says he handles criticism well. The thickness of Shurmur’s skin is a topic for discussion on sports talk radio as the losses mount. The Browns are 0-5 this season and 4-17 overall under Shurmur. They have lost 11 straight."
- "What Pat Shurmur Should Have Said…" (WFNY) - "Every now and then I like to help people out by telling them what they could say. Nobody says everything perfectly (as I know all too well,) and hindsight is especially nice when figuring out what you could have said that would have been superior to what you did say."
- "Browns must beat Bengals to end drought, save Jimmy Haslam embarrassment" (Beacon Journal) - "Coach Pat Shurmur certainly doesn’t want the Browns to set a franchise record for ineptitude on his watch, and incoming owner Jimmy Haslam III certainly doesn’t want them to be the only winless team in the NFL when the league’s owners vote Oct. 16 to approve his purchase of the organization."
- "Colts make RB change after Brown has surgery" (AP) - "Colts rookie running back Vick Ballard will make his first NFL start Sunday against the New York Jets after Donald Brown had surgery to repair torn cartilage in his knee."
- "Green Bay RB Benson goes on IR, could still return" (AP) - "The Green Bay Packers are dealing with yet another loss. Running back Cedric Benson, who has had 71 of the team's 111 carries, was placed on injured reserve Wednesday because of a sprained left foot, but was designated to return."
- "Panthers lose Pro Bowl C Ryan Kalil for the season" (AP) - "Panthers announced Wednesday that Pro Bowl center Ryan Kalil is out for the season after suffering a left foot injury. Kalil was injured in Carolina's 16-12 loss to Seattle, although he continued playing."
- "NFL great Alex Karras dies" (AP) - "Alex Karras was one of the NFL's most feared defensive tackles throughout the 1960s, a player who hounded quarterbacks and bulled past opposing linemen."