The new comment indicators should be functioning again, and the mobile web experience has improved for SB Nation sites.
One week ago, SB Nation United launched across over 300 blogs on the network, including Dawgs By Nature. You may not realize it, but over the first few days of its launch, the tech team made a lot of incremental changes to improve things like the yellow tint on new comments, the amount of space between the end of an article and comments, and much more.
This morning, the tech team launched several big updates to fix the new comments issue and the mobile web experience. Here is the full message the tech team sent us:
This morning we released several big changes:
1) Streamlined the mobile web layout to be easier to quickly scan. I encourage everyone to load it up and check it out. We'll continue to make tweaks, but this was a big step forward and these changes were based directly on community feedback we received. We removed a lot of clutter and put an emphasis on the stories in the river: bigger headlines, added blurbs and added timestamps. We also cleaned up the fonts on mobile to be easier to read.
2) More decreases to the size of mobile web pages in order to improve performance.
3) Turned off auto-updating comments on mobile by default so that it doesn't inadvertently drain mobile battery life.
4) Fixed the issue with not properly showing the number of new comments for logged in users on the homepage.
5) Fixed the issue with missing content in the iOS and Android apps.
6) Added the Recommend button to articles.
7) Several other fixes to link type FanShots, Video links, Login/Signup links in the footer, issues w/ Facebook shared links, headline fonts too big in the cover and more!
What we have up next:
- Fix the issue with Shift-A not always working to clear unread comments for logged in users
- More mobile improvements
- IE 8 visual tweaks
- Many small things
NEW COMMENT INDICATORS WORK! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!