I was the first one on the in Holmgren we trust bandwagon for the last 2 years. In fact I once said it to Hanford Dixon, but this off season I have lost all faith and here are a few of the reasons why.
1) To come out and publicly complain about the inability to get the RG3 deal done was not only classless it hurts the team. Not only did the guy who is our QB now hear it, anyone that they intended to draft will now know they are the 3rd choice minimum. Would Holmgren have signed on to be our GM after we publicly had made it known that we were after Newsome and upset that we did not get it done? Mike you couldn't get the deal done, just like you couldn't with Bradford. You have nobody to blame but yourself.
2) Building through the draft is something that established teams can do, not expansion teams. We do not have 10 years worth of depth just sitting around. We just keep dumping guys because of their past affiliations even if they were serviceable and affordable players. Cores of all established teams are built with veterans and rookies alike, not just rookies. We tried the young guys growing up together back in 99 and it did not work.
3) People are giving Heckert credit for building our defense while forgetting that he has spent half of our draft picks on offense. Why? The only thing I can come up is because we haven't used a 1st round pick on offense yet.
4) Here is a list of those players and the rounds they were taken in:
2 Montario Hardesty
3 Colt McCoy
3 Shawn Lauvao
6 Carlton Mitchell
2 Greg Little
4 Jordan Cameron
4 Owen Marecic
5 Jason Pinkston
How can I have faith in the draft when this is the best that they can do with those 8 picks? On any other team how many starters do we see here?
5) This front office thought that we had an NFL caliber receiving core last year, when no one else did and they also believed that Marecic was an upgrade over Vickers. Leaving me to wonder if I have a better eye for offensive talent.
6) They hire a rookie head coach and put him in an impossible position without an offensive coordinator that not only cost us games, it could have cost Colt his career.
For the record the Lions rebuild took 3 years after arguably the worst GM in football left their team in shambles. Why should the Browns take 5 years or more to do the same thing? We are to years in and have turned a 4 win team into a 4 win team.
Am I for blowing this up? No. I only think the Browns need to recognize that things are going way wrong here and need to correct their thinking ASAP.
I know I seem to be in the minority here at DBN which leads me to ask all of you glass half full people what you see going on that I don't? Please enlighten me.