- "Off-season 'excitement' shouldn't be the measure of Mike Holmgren's leadership of Cleveland Browns, but wins should be" (Plain Dealer) - "Randy Lerner's Browns need not take the same approach to free agency as the Browns of Al Lerner, who tried to make Berea a destination."
- "Browns focusing on offense in the draft?" (Plain Dealer) - "Since free agency is dealing almost exclusively with defense, does that mean that we can expect a draft loaded with offense? The defense was already pretty good while the offense was woeful, yet Rucker was signed and Patterson re-signed. No one that scores points. Is there any offensive difference-makers in our future?"
- "Chiefs ink Eric Winston, Brady Quinn" (AP via ESPN) - "The Kansas City Chiefs addressed their most glaring need on offensive Saturday, signing veteran tackle Eric Winston, and then adding depth at quarterback by agreeing to terms with Brady Quinn."
- "NFL's track record on building teams through free agency mixed at best" (Plain Dealer) - "Since NFL free agency began at the stroke of 4 p.m. last Tuesday, Browns fans had high hopes their team would be busy plugging holes in the roster with big-name players to finally build a winner."
- "Seattle signs Flynn to three-year, $19 million contract" (Journal Sentinel) - "The Seattle Seahawks came out on top in the pursuit of Packers free agent quarterback Matt Flynn. A day after Flynn made a visit to the Miami Dolphins, Seattle closed the deal with Flynn Sunday afternoon, agreeng to terms on a three-year deal that a source with direct knowledge of the deal said is worth $19 million with about $10 million guaranteed. There will be opportunities for Flynn to make as much as $24 million."
- "QB Alex Smith negotiating with Dolphins; throws Manning waiting game for loop" (Denver Post) - "In a seemingly sudden and stunning development, free-agent quarterback Alex Smith is in negotiations with the Miami Dolphins, according to an NFL source."
- "Report: Alex Smith makes free-agent visit to Miami Dolphins" (Mercury News) - "Incumbent 49ers quarterback Alex Smith hopped on a cross-country, red-eye flight Saturday night to make his first-ever free agency visit to the Miami Dolphins. Smith will meet today with the Dolphins, who have also courted former Packers quarterback Matt Flynn and ex-Colts icon Peyton Manning."
- "Patriots sign WR Anthony Gonzalez" (Yahoo! Sports) - "The New England Patriots signed former Colts wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez on Saturday. Later ESPN.com reported, citing unidentified league sources, the Patriots also reached an agreement with free agent wide receiver Brandon Lloyd."