Matt Forte probably isn't too happy about being franchise tagged.
The Browns won't be targeting these guys. The deadline for teams to apply the franchise tag to an otherwise free agent was today at 4 p.m. As many have been speculating for weeks, this year the NFL had quite a bit of teams utilizing their franchise tag, 21 in total. That was partly due to the tag being cheaper across the board than it had been in some time.
The list includes a franchise QB, a punter, and just about everything in between. Check it out after the jump.
Here are your 2012 franchise tagged players:
- Arizona Cardinals: DE Calais Campbell - He's a very good, young player and the defense needs him.
- Atlanta Falcons: CB Brent Grimes - Being among the best FA CBs, the move is not surprising.
- Baltimore Ravens: RB Ray Rice - This was a must for Balimore, no chance Rice was hitting FA.
- Chicago Bears: RB Matt Forte - Forte won't be happy about it, but saw it coming.
- Cincinnati Bengals: K Mike Nugent - One of the five kickers franchised this year.
- Cleveland Browns: K Phil Dawson - Dawson redefines franchise player.
- Dallas Cowboys: LB Anthony Spencer - I think this might be overpaying for Spencer.
- Denver Broncos: K Matt Prater - He's actually a really good kicker.
- Detroit Lions: DE Cliff Avril - As stated before, this is disappointing. He was on Browns fans' radar.
- Indianapolis Colts: DE Robert Mathis - This won't stop them from trying to get a longer deal.
- Jacksonville Jaguars: K Josh Scobee - Just another franchise kicker.
- Kansas City Chiefs: WR Dwayne Bowe - This was disappointing as the FA WR class dwindles.
- New England Patriots: WR Wes Welker - This isn't surprising, Brady's security blanket WR.
- New Orleans Saints: QB Drew Brees - Terrible move by the Saints not to just pay him and tag OG Carl Nicks.
- New York Giants: P Steve Weatherford - One of only three punter ever to be franchised.
- Oakland Raiders: S Tyvon Branch - One of the best FA strong safeties.
- Philadelphia Eagles: WR DeSean Jackson - All-world talent with prima donna issues.
- San Francisco 49ers: S Dashon Goldson - Great season in the 49ers' turn around payed off.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: K Connor Barth - The last of the kickers to be franchised.
- Tennessee Titans: S Michael Griffin - The Titans chose to tag Griffin over Finnegan.
- Washington Redskins: TE Fred Davis - He's a good TE, not a great one.