Let the games begin! Next week the Olympics will commence in London. Some of you may not care much about the Olympics, but here are the reasons I'm a fan and always look forward to watching...
- Track events, particularly the short distance sprints. I enjoy watching the fastest athletes on earth push each other and set long standing world speed records. I look forward to seeing if Usain Bolt will electrify the world again this year with his superhuman feats on the track.
- I enjoy rooting for Team USA against the world, regardless of sport. Especially in the sports that don't normally get much attention in the USA, where the athletes have the opportunity for their one collective moment of glory, probably never to be experienced again by any of them.
- I enjoy watching a young person who most of us have never heard of, but who has been working his or her entire life toward this one moment in time. In the final rounds and final heats I'm watching that athlete pour 15 years of hard work and 120% of every fiber of their body into that one final performance that will be the greatest moment in his or her life.
- Swimming (men's and women's). As with the track/sprint events, I guess just enjoy watching people race each other be it on land or in the water. I'll be interested to see what new stars emerge, or if Michael Phelps will dominate again and continue re-writing the record books.
- Once every four years I become a soccer fan. Gotta love it when the women's soccer team goes out there and shows the world that no matter the sport the Americans are game on. The ladies are the ones holding their own and doing the heavy lifting for us in the soccer world. I'll be cheering them on.
- Basketball. Ok world, this is our game. Give us your best shot.
Speaking of basketball, here's the guy that should be starting point on Team USA. Hell if he was making fools out of Kobe and Harden in scrimmages, its a damn shame we don't get to see him go to work against Lithuania.
(click on the image to watch Kyrie in action)
(courtesy of FTS... BTW, please check out this FTS (source) article about Kyrie putting his sick moves on Team USA in scrimmage if you haven't see it) - also BTW, Kyrie please stop punching things.
So - will you be watching? If so, what sports and which athletes are you looking forward to seeing?