- "Joe Haden defends his character after report of failed drug test" (Chronicle-Telegram) - "Cornerback Joe Haden stood in the middle of the locker room Wednesday night surrounded by reporters. He was soaked in sweat and still partially dressed from the Family Night practice at Cleveland Browns Stadium."
- "Brandon Weeden, Browns eager for challenge from Detroit Lions in preseason opener" (Beacon Journal) - "Browns rookie quarterback Brandon Weeden will get his first taste of a true NFL pass rush tonight against none other than superstar Ndamukong Suh and the rest of the Detroit Lions’ ferocious defensive linemen."
- "Richardson's surgery considered a success" (AFC North Blog) - "The Browns announced that running back Trent Richardson had successful arthroscopic surgery Thursday and are 'hopeful' that he'll be ready for the regular-season opener."
- "Hardesty looks to revive career in 2012" (FS Ohio) - "A facility for offensive linemen might be reviving the career of a Cleveland Browns running back. Montario Hardesty was in a tough place last season; struggles on the field were exaggerated by criticism off."
- "What to watch on NFL’s opening preseason weekend" (SI.com) - "Right on cue, after months of stifling summer heat, the temperature dropped dramatically almost coast to coast on Thursday morning, if only for a bit. It seems that even Mother Nature knows it’s football season again."
- "Ryan Mathews breaks clavicle" (PFT) - "When the Chargers declared an intention to convert running back Ryan Mathews into a workhorse this season, many wondered whether he’d stay healthy."
- "RG3 heats up in 3rd drive of Redskins win" (AP) - "The only thing missing from Robert Griffin III's NFL preseason debut was the Washington Redskins rookie quarterback showing off his ability to run the ball on Thursday night."
- "Manning makes cameo, Broncos beat Bears 31-3" (AP) - "Peyton Manning's first appearance with the Denver Broncos was brief and a bit uneven."