It has been three weeks since my pre-training camp roster projection for the Cleveland Browns. Injuries have made it difficult at times to judge expected roles for players on this team, but there are still quite a few changes that have been made. There will probably be two more roster projections before final cuts are made, but I feel a lot more confident about this list than I did in the first version.
Projected PUP: DT Phil Taylor
Projected Suspension List: LB Scott Fujita
Listed below is what has changed since the last time. Any position not listed did not have any changes.
General Roster Projection Notes
- Quarterback: I have moved Colt McCoy back to the 53-man roster, meaning Thaddeus Lewis has to be cut. McCoy could still very well be traded, but for now, I felt this list should reflect a scenario that assumes trades will not take place.
- Wide Receiver: I put Rod Windsor on the practice squad instead of Bert Reed.
- Defensive Line: I no longer believe Phil Taylor will be brought back early, so he is off the 53-man roster and in limbo (PUP list). I am also going to guess that the recent injury to Scott Paxson will also land him on an injury list, or he'll be waived in favor of Brian Schaefering. The other addition here is Emmanuel Stephens, who has seen first-team reps over the past two weeks with Frostee Rucker out. Stephens has really benefited by Rucker and Benard being banged up this camp, because his odds were looking nil three weeks ago. I also put DL Ronnie Cameron on the practice squad, but he probably won't make it there before being claimed by another team.
- Linebacker: I had to take Chris Gocong off the roster since he will likely go on injured reserve. I also removed special teams linebacker Quinton Spears. Taking those two roster spots are rookies Craig Robertson and L.J. Fort, both of whom are having solid camps, making big plays, and looking good on special teams.
- Cornerback / Safety: I was hoping a safety would step up a few weeks ago, and that's exactly what David Sims has done in the absence of Usama Young. With that addition, I had to subtract a cornerback. Sorry, James Dockery -- it was either him or Trevin Wade, and Wade has looked too good the past few weeks and saw some work with the first-team defense this past week at nickelback. I also made CB Antwuan Reed a practice squad player.
Feel free to tell me any changes you would make to the list in the comments section below!