Is this the first time in history that a guy gets carted away and then participates in practice less than 24 hours later?
Practice was not open to the public, but the media had the opportunity to check in on things for an hour. There was some good news at practice, too, since several players returned from injury. The Day 22 training camp report, which admittedly just talks about injuries, is after the jump.
TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 22 (8/17/12)
- Welcome Back: This is around the time when training camp reports focus more on "injury news" and "reps" rather than what actually happened during practice. As such, the top headline was the fact that WR Travis Benjamin, WR Mohamed Massaquoi, TE Jordan Cameron, and DE Frostee Rucker all practiced after missing Thursday's game. Rucker is still taking it easy for now, but it's good to see him back after missing a few weeks of action. CB Trevin Wade was also practicing after being carted to the locker room Thursday.
- Joining the Injury List: You gain some, and then you lose some. WR Rod Windsor, OT Oniel Cousins, and LB Emmanuel Acho all missed practice due to "soreness," which has replaced "battled" and "understanding" in Pat Shurmur's vocabulary this year. Veteran DE Juqua Parker also sat out. The good thing is that the team welcomed back five potentially key players (see above), but the first three guys listed who sat out might not even make the roster.
- "Bad Ball" Drill: According to Daryl Ruiter via Twitter, part of practice consisted of a "bad ball" drill for the defense, in which they practiced scooping up fumbles and snatching interceptions. Cleveland's defense was certainly ready to pounce on the Packers Thursday, when they recorded four turnovers.
- Brownies: QB Brandon Weeden said he was out of breath after the hit he took Thursday, and that his teammates teased him in the huddle about it. ... The players are off on Saturday, and practice re-opens to the public Sunday afternoon. ... The Browns vs. Packers game was the second-most watched preseason game in Cleveland since 1999.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- Three Browns players return from injury (Akron Beacon Journal, Ulrich)
- Benjamin and Cameron return to action (Plain Dealer, Cabot)
- Weeden wants Gordon to clean up routes (News-Herald, Schudel)
- Camp news and notes, Friday (92.3 The Fan, Ruiter)