After an off day on Saturday, the Cleveland Browns took to the practice field Sunday morning. It was another beautiful day in Berea, and the threat of rain toward the end of practice passed. As pretty of a day as it was weather-wise, it was reportedly another ugly day for the offense in terms of holding onto the football. The full report of Day 24 of training camp is after the jump.
TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 24 (8/19/12)
- DQ Returns, Makes His Mark: After missing several weeks of practice and the first two preseason games with shoulder soreness, LB D'Qwell Jackson returned and was in good form, according to the Akron Beacon Journal. During a two-minute drill, Jackson made an impact on two plays. On second down, he came on a blitz and forced QB Brandon Weeden to take a camp sack. On fourth down, he deflected a pass over the middle, ending the drive before it could go anywhere.
- Watson Partially Returns: Half-way through the preseason, the Browns are getting healthy again. Two days after TE Jordan Cameron returned to practice, starting TE Benjamin Watson participated in practice, even though it was just in individual drills. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was the first practice session in all of camp in which all five tight ends on the roster were participants in practice. Next up for Watson is to see action the team drills as well.
- Drop City: There were a lot of drops when the team practiced indoors last week before the Packers game, and that trend continued during Sunday's practice. ESPN Cleveland said that on one play, WR Greg Little had beaten CB Buster Skrine on a deep route and was wide open. QB Colt McCoy delivered a perfect throw to the end zone, and Little just dropped it. Little reportedly had at least another drop, and TE Jordan Cameron had one as well.
- Dawson Continues Being Money: K Phil Dawson kicked a 62-yarder during practice, and Scott Petrak noted that it would've been good from 68 yards. He also reportedly kicked two field goals through the skinny goal posts during two-minute drills.
- Shurmur Confident About Richardson: After practice, head coach Pat Shurmur was asked about the status of RB Trent Richardson, and he had some encouraging words about his progress: "He’s getting better every day so his progress has been outstanding. I think he’s ten days out now, so he’s about where we thought he’d be at this point, probably a little bit ahead of that. He’ll be out here soon."
- Brownies: WR Rod Windsor also returned to practice after sitting out on Friday. ... DE Frostee Rucker continued to see work in individual drills. ... The team will practice in front of the media Monday morning, and then the final two camp sessions open to the public are Tuesday and Wednesday morning. ... There were 2,931 fans in attendance for Sunday morning's session of training camp. ... K Jeff Wolfert was waived over the weekend, and the team plans on bringing someone in to take his roster spot.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- News, notes, and observations from practice (Akron Beacon Journal, Ulrich)
- Eyes on Berea, 8/19/12 (ESPN Cleveland, Fontana)
- Camp news and notes, Sunday (92.3 The Fan, Ruiter)