The Cleveland Browns hit the practice field one last time Wednesday morning in front of the fans. The final training camp session open to the public was cut short so that players could sign autographs for everyone in attendance. The Day 27 training camp report is after the jump.
TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 27 (8/22/12)
- Haden Kicked Out of Practice: I'm sure everyone has heard this by now, but CB Joe Haden was kicked out of practice for being too rough, according to reports. Head coach Pat Shurmur would not comment on the incident, but the Plain Dealer has video of it here. QB Brandon Weeden threw a deep pass for WR Travis Benjamin, and as CB Joe Haden was going for the breakup, he tugged on the back of Benjamin, bringing him to the ground. He was not a vicious play by any means, but I guess it was the "final straw" of a series of going over the line. In the end, it's not really a big deal, as Haden was back on the field during the afternoon walk-throughs.
- Red Zone Work: The final day of practice focused on 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 red zone drills, according to 92.3 The Fan, which is always a fun drill for fans to watch. Reports say that Brandon Weeden was able to connect with WR Greg Little, WR Josh Gordon, WR Travis Benjamin, and TE Alex Smith for scores. After practice, Weeden noted that he thought it was his best day of camp to date.
- Massaqoui Over the Middle: Even though Mohamed Massaquoi has suffered a few concussions on hits over the middle, the team will continue to depend on him to make those type of catches. ESPN Cleveland reported that many of the passes to Massaquoi on Wednesday were over the middle. Tom Reed of the Plain Dealer says that the play of the day was a fingertip catch that Massaquoi made near the sidelines.
- Brownies: LB D'Qwell Jackson intercepted a pass by Colt McCoy, intended for WR Jermaine Saffold. ... The Browns averaged 2,653 fans per camp session this year, up from 1,608 last year. ... LB Scott Fujita might be close to practicing again, but it doesn't matter a whole lot since he's suspended for the first three games. ... S Ray Ventrone and RB Chris Ogbonnaya have missed the past couple of practices. ... DE Frostee Rucker could start against the Eagles on Friday. ... WFNY says that CB Buster Skrine, DT Billy Winn, and WR Josh Gordon had good days/plays.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- Training camp report, 8/22/12 (Waiting For Next Year, Rick)
- Eyes on Berea, 8/22/12 (ESPN Cleveland, Burge)
- Players glad to see training camp end (Chronicle-Telegram, Petrak)
- Rucker returns, hope to play Friday (Akron Beacon Journal, Ulrich)
- Weeden improving his grip of the offensive playbook (Plain Dealer, Reed)
- Shurmur gets hot while expelling Haden (Canton Repository, Doerschuk)
- Camp news and notes: final practice (92.3 The Fan, Ruiter)