A few days after listing DE Marcus Benard, DE Auston English, and CB Antwuan Reed as waived/injured, all three players have cleared waivers without being claimed by another team, according to Daryl Ruiter of 92.3 The Fan. An injury settlement was not reached with any of the players, so all three guys now go on injured reserve, joining the likes of FB Eddie Williams, LB Chris Gocong, and LB Emmanuel Acho as players who are out for the season. The Browns would have first priority in trying to re-sign Benard, English, and Reed next year before they hit free agency.
Here are a few other Browns-related transactions from the past few days:
- As I suspected, WR Carlton Mitchell went unclaimed on waivers. His best chance at staying in the NFL would be if the Browns suffer an injury and want to give him a call, without having to waste someone's practice squad eligibility (i.e. if they put Josh Cooper on the practice squad).
- One player waived by the Browns did get claimed off waivers: the Jets got P Spencer Lanning.
- After starting 15 games for the Buccaneers last year, former Browns center Jeff Faine, now in his tenth season in the NFL, has been signed by the Cincinnati Bengals. Bengals center Kyle Cook has a serious foot injury, so Faine could end up starting there immediately.
- Former Browns CB Coye Francies continues to bounce around. Two days after he was released by the Seattle Seahawks, he was claimed off waivers by the Oakland Raiders.
- After being waived by the Baltimore Ravens, former Browns K Billy Cundiff found a new gig with the Washington Redskins.
- A little bit after the Saints cut former Browns QB Luke McCown, he was signed by the Atlanta Falcons to be their No. 2 guy behind Matt Ryan. The Falcons must have liked McCown a lot, because they waived veteran quarterback Chris Redman in favor of him.
- The Patriots cut former Browns WR Donte Stallworth and DT Gerard Warren. Remember that CFL offensive tackle the Browns had in the past, Joel Reinders? He was in Giants camp this year, but they just cut him, and he promptly re-signed in the CFL. The Cardinals cut RB Thomas Clayton, who was on the Browns' 53-man roster at the end of last season.