The big news heading into the 11th day of training camp Monday afternoon was the fact that quarterback Brandon Weeden was named the team's starting quarterback for this week's game against the Detroit Lions (the full depth chart can be found here). Overall, it was considered a rather uneventful practice, but the practice report is after the jump, nonetheless.
TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 11 (8/6/12)
- Built Ford Tough: The way in which companies advertise can be comedic. For example, does placing a company logo on a team's practice jersey supposed to make me want to purcharse their product? If it's about brand awareness, then Ford went overboard, because their television commercials and catchphrases are more than enough. The media quickly noticed that the players had a "Ford" logo on their practice jerseys during practice. It should be an ounce of additional revenue for the team, and it doesn't really bother me. Fans discussed it earlier in a FanShot.
- Interesting Change at QB: Up until Monday, Brandon Weeden has been taking all the snaps with the first-team offense, and Colt McCoy has been with the second-team offense. For whatever reason, on Monday, McCoy swapped places with Seneca Wallace. Wallace ran the second-team offense, while McCoy dropped down to the third-team offense. Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds. After practice, Pat Shurmur said they were just mixing things up today, and that it didn't mean any form of a demotion took place.
- Rubin and Moore Return: After waiting the league-required three days since being activated, both DL Ahtyba Rubin and TE Evan Moore returned to practice in full pads Monday afternoon. WFNY says that Rubin immediately filled in with the first-team defense, alongside Scott Paxson (Paxson was there, even though John Hughes was listed ahead of him on the depth chart). It's unclear how much of a role Moore played, but two notes on Twitter say that he caught one long pass from Brandon Weeden on 7-on-7's, and one pass "at his ankles" from Seneca Wallace. CBS Rapid Reports then said, "Moore has 2011 moment; drops easy pass in end zone."
- Wade Makes a Few Plays: According to CBS Sports, rookie CB Trevin Wade had a good practice, notching an interception on a pass by Colt McCoy and also knocking a pass away that Seneca Wallace threw.
- Another Drop for Benjamin: Although he continues to have a good camp, WR Travis Benjamin dropped another long pass on Monday, according to the News-Herald. You wish you could eliminate drops, but like we see with some NFL receivers, Benjamin could prove to have enough assets to overcome the occasional drop.
- Replacement Officials Arrive: Every year, NFL referees visit training camp for a few days to make sure the players and coaches are up-to-speed on everything. This year, they are replacement officials, but they should help nonetheless. They were at Monday's practice, and they'll also be available on Tuesday and Wednesday. Daryl Ruiter from 92.3 The Fan noted that OT Oniel Cousins drew the first flag from the replacement officials.
- Injury Report: The players who missed practice included FB Eddie Williams (undisclosed), WR Carlton Mitchell (leg), TE Ben Watson (undisclosed), DT Phil Taylor (pectoral), DE Frostee Rucker (leg), and S Usama Young (undisclosed). DE Marcus Benard left practice late in the day with a team doctor, but no update was provided on his condition. DT Brian Schaefering returned to practice after missing a couple of days, as did backup kicker Jeff Wolfert.
- Brownies: Former Packers GM Ron Wolf was in attendance. ... DB Tashaun Gipson had an interception on a pass by Seneca Wallace. ... Ruiter noted that the replacement officials didn't have to blow very many whistles. ... Brandon Weeden and Seneca Wallace failed in their attempts at the one-minute offense, but Colt McCoy was able to connect with WR Rod Windsor on a touchdown pass. ... WR Greg Little and WR Mohamed Massaquoi continue getting good reviews. ... P Spencer Lanning boomed a 60-yard punt during practice. ... There were 3,128 fans at practice Monday. ... The next practice session open to the public is Tuesday from 2:00 PM to 4:30 PM.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- Cleveland Browns training camp report, 8/6/12 (Waiting For Next Year, Rick)
- Team adjusts practice schedule to attend Garrett Reid's funeral (News-Herald, Finnan)
- Weeden's the man (The OBR, Greetham)