- "Dick Jauron and his young, hustling defense make the Browns competitive" (ESPN Cleveland) - "Something gained in a loss: The night before their season opener against the Philadelphia Eagles, the Browns’ defense had a meeting. The message?"
- "With Haden out, Browns' defensive backfield is hurting" (Canton Rep) - "Joe Haden is suspended. Sheldon Brown’s iron-man streak is hurting. Dimitri Patterson is pretending not to limp. Buster Skrine got burned. Trevin Wade isn’t ready. Other than that, the Cleveland Browns’ cornerback corps is in midseason form."
- "Receivers catching some grief from unhappy Pat Shurmur" (Plain Dealer) - "Brandon Weeden didn't need any help looking bad in his NFL quarterbacking debut. It didn't stop Greg Little and others, however, from lending an unreliable hand or two in the Browns' offensive misadventures Sunday."
- "Modell citizen" (ESPN) - "For a few days last week, Art Modell was again the most hated man in American sports. Even death couldn't soften the hearts he broke when he stole the Browns and eloped to Baltimore. Cleveland never forgave and Cleveland never forgot."
- "Trend or Mirage: Sorting through Week 1" (SI.com) - "This is the time of the NFL season when I’d like to encourage everyone to just take a step back and calm down."
- "Roger Goodell to meet with players" (ESPN) - "NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has agreed to meet with all four players suspended for their alleged involvement in the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal."
- "Steelers hoping Harrison can play against Jets" (AP) - "Ryan Clark will be back. Maybe James Harrison too. Still, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin thinks the two veteran defenders are hardly the cure-all for a defense that lacked a certain bite during Sunday's season-opening loss at Denver."
- "Raiders WR Jacoby Ford to have surgery" (AP) - "Coach Dennis Allen has a lot more to deal with than just a loss in his debut as Oakland Raiders coach."