- "Mike Holmgren: 'I've never quit anything in my life'" (Plain Dealer) - "Browns President Mike Holmgren predicted this off-season that his team would be 'a lot better than 6-10' and mandated that the club take a big leap from its 4-12 record of last year."
- "Season openers an exercise in futility" (Canton Rep) - "The Browns are 1-12 in season openers in the expansion era. They have the longest streak of opening-day losses in the league, seven. The next-longest streak, five, belongs to St. Louis."
- "The strangest Browns' season yet begins with a transfer of power on the horizon" (ESPN Cleveland) - "In his three years as Browns president and owner representative, we’ve seen Mike Holmgren be positively artful with the media – which is his national image – but also confrontational and borderline bullyish, and other times remorseful."
- "McCoy getting used to backup role" (Morning Journal) - "Colt McCoy wears a navy-blue wristband printed with the words 'I am second.' It is appropriate apparel for a backup quarterback, perhaps, but the wristband is not a statement about his status with the Browns."
- "Mularkey: MJD to be 3rd-down back in opener" (AP) - "Maurice Jones-Drew will begin the season much like he did his NFL career: a backup and third-down running back."
- "Ryan says Jets will use Tebow in wildcat vs. Bills" (AP) - "Get ready for Tim Tebow and the wildcat."
- "Ryan Mathews practices, hasn’t been cleared for contact" (PFT) - "Chargers running back Ryan Mathews took a step toward game action on Monday when he returned to practice."
- "Brian Urlacher: 'I'm playing Sunday'" (ESPN) - "Chicago Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher expects to start Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts, despite reportedly having undergone multiple procedures on his left knee that forced him off the practice field for the entire offseason program and the bulk of training camp."