The Cleveland Browns made several moves on the back end of their roster the past couple of days. Due to big news like quarterback Jason Campbell being named the starter over Brandon Weeden, we didn't have time to get to the transactions. Therefore, this post will summarize all of the transactions to get everybody up to speed:
Played Added to 53-Man Roster
- DB Jordan Poyer - On Monday, the Browns claimed Poyer off waivers from the Philadelphia Eagles. Mike Krupka provided a scouting report on him here, and speculated that Poyer seemed more like a safety or a slot cornerback (he was labeled as a cornerback). On Wednesday, Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski confirmed that the Browns were indeed working Poyer out at safety, as they try to find a replacement for Josh Aubrey, who was placed on injured reserve last week.
- WR Brian Tyms - On Tuesday, the Browns signed Tyms off the Miami Dolphins' practice squad. Tyms was an undrafted free agent in 2012 and spent camp with the San Francisco 49ers. After not making their roster, he signed with the Dolphins and has been on their practice squad ever since. Tyms has some size at 6-3, 204 lbs. This preseason, he had 11 catches for 106 yards.
To Cleveland fans. Just know you're getting a good football player in Brian Tyms. Raw receiver, but very athletic. Good special teamer.— Omar Kelly (@OmarKelly) October 22, 2013
Players Waived from 53-Man Roster
- DB Julian Posey - He was on the practice squad for the first six weeks of the season before being promoted to the 53-man roster on Friday to face the Packers (he was taking Aubrey's spot). He played 6 snaps on special teams. He was waived to make room for Poyer.
- WR Tori Gurley - Gurley's season has now looked like this: 53-man roster for the first two games, practice squad for the next four games, and back to the 53-man roster last week. He might be done after this time, though, since the Browns signed someone else to their practice squad. He played 13 snaps on special teams against the Packers. Gurley was waived in favor of Tyms.
Practice Squad Additions
- DB Julian Posey - After he cleared waivers on Tuesday, Posey was re-signed to the practice squad.
- RB Jamaine Cook - This is an interesting one -- the Youngstown State product originally signed with the Browns following the draft. Cook was one of the players who tried out with the Browns back on April 12, when they held a workout with 14 local players. The Browns waived Cook on May 14, but brought him back mid-way through camp in August after injuries to RB Montario Hardesty and RB Dion Lewis. Cook had 14 carries for 39 yards (2.8 YPC) in the preseason to go along with 5 catches for 38 yards.
Waived Players Claimed Elsewhere
- RB Bobby Rainey - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers claimed Rainey off waivers after the Browns released him last week. Rainey will serve as a backup on the Buccaneers' 53-man roster with starter Doug Martin down.