On Friday night, the players who made the 2014 NFL Pro Bowl were announced. The NFL is doing a different format this year for the Pro Bowl, where instead of it being AFC vs. NFC, there will be a draft on January 22, 2014 to determine the teams that will play each other on January 26, 2014.
Despite having a 4-11 record and having lost six consecutive games, the Cleveland Browns had five players named to the Pro Bowl. Those players include:
This is the most amount of players the Browns have sent to the Pro Bowl since 2007, when they sent six players. Last year, the Browns were represented by Thomas, KR Joshua Cribbs, and K Phil Dawson. The only player who might be considered somewhat of a Pro Bowl snub this year is SS T.J. Ward, who is having the best season of his career. Ward has, however, been named as a Pro Bowl alternate.
Here is the full list of players who were named Pro Bowlers this season. A few more notes about the Browns' Pro Bowl selections this season:
- Josh Gordon joins Braylon Edwards (2008) & Webster Slaughter (1990) as the only Browns Pro Bowl wide receivers since 1971.
- Jordan Cameron joins Milt Morin, Ozzie Newsome & Kellen Winslow as the only Browns tight ends selected to the Pro Bowl.
- Joe Thomas has been a Pro Bowl selection all 7 of his seasons & trails only Jim Brown (9) & Lou Groza (9) for the most by a Browns player.
- Alex Mack scored a touchdown in his only Pro Bowl appearance in 2010.
- Joe Haden is the first Browns cornerback selected to the Pro Bowl since Frank Minnifield in 1990.