Rookie minicamp for the Cleveland Browns commenced on Friday with a total of 49 players in attendance. In total, there was a mix of rookie draft picks, undrafted free agents, players on a tryout basis, and a few players who weren't rookies. A recap of what went down on Day 1 of rookie minicamp, per reports from the media who attended, is listed below.
CLEVELAND BROWNS ROOKIE MINICAMP RECAP (FRIDAY, MAY 10)
- Riding the Stationary Bikes: There were two players who did not participate in practice due to injuries: OT Chris Faulk and S Jamoris Slaughter. Both players took part in stretching and then went over to the exercise bike. There isn't a major concern for either player, as they are both coming off of injuries in college and are just being nursed along.
- "Veterans" Who Participated: I'm always interested in which non-rookies are invited to help take part in rookie minicamp. This year, there were six of those players. According to Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland, those players included OG Dominic Alford, DE Kendrick Adams, CB Kent Richardson, K Brandon Bogotay, P Spencer Lanning, and P Jake Schum. Most of those players have very little experience, although Alford has been hanging around for a couple of years on the practice squad.
- So Far, So Good for Mingo: The praise was evident on the first day of camp for first-round draft pick Barkevious Mingo. Granted, there's not a ton you can really show at a rookie camp like this beyond quickness and speed, so he just merely lived up to the high expectations that have been set for him. He looked lean and might add some weight before training camp, depending on what Rob Chudzinski asks of him.
- 20 Players In for a Tryout: There were a lot of players in for a tryout: 20 in total. Among them were two quarterbacks: Ryan Aplin and Kyle Frazier. Originally, it was said that Aplin would not come in for a tryout, but he ended up here anyway. They might not be signed, but Cleveland needed a couple of "bodies" to throw during the weekend, and they were the two who got the opportunity.
- Other Players Trying Out: The other 18 players who tried out included RB Robbie Rouse, RB Josh Haden, WR Andrew Helmich, TE Cordale Scott, OL Korian Chambers, DT Nicholas Jean-Baptiste, DL Zack Anderson, LB Mike Niam, LB Tommy Smith, LB Ausar Walcott, DB Abdul Kanneh, DB Ryan McWethy, DB Akeem Auguste, DB Jamaal White, DB Keronte Walker, DB Robert McCabe, P T.J. Conley, and LS Sean Flaherty.
- Haslam in Attendance: As promised, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam flew back up to Cleveland and was visible to the media during the rookie minicamp. Other veteran players who were spectators included LB Paul Kruger and CB Joe Haden, both of whom were presumably there to see their younger brothers participate in practice.
- Rain Kicks Things Inside: Although practice began outside, it soon started raining, forcing the remainder of the session to take place indoors.
- Practice Footage: Here is a video from the official team site with some footage from Friday's session.