The second day of rookie minicamp for the Cleveland Browns took place indoors on Saturday, probably due to the heavy rain that came down late Friday as well as the "chilly" temperature. A recap of what went down on Day 2 of rookie minicamp, per reports from the media who attended, is listed below.
CLEVELAND BROWNS ROOKIE MINICAMP RECAP (SATURDAY, MAY 11)
- More Miraculous Mingo: Other than the fact that he looks like he could add some weight, the early reviews for Barkevious Mingo continued to be positive on Day 2. Some of the media reviews included, "he flew through the drills, showing impressive change of direction" and "he is very quick and fly’s throughout whatever obstacle he is working against."
- Dave Kruger Sits: DT Dave Kruger did not practice on Saturday for an undisclosed reason. Unlike tryout players, though, missing one day isn't a huge issue for Kruger; he is already signed to a contract and will likely be at training camp.
- Early Positional Notes: These early practices are often plug-and-play when it comes to positions. Nonetheless, Scott Petrak of the Chronicle-Telegram observed that OL Garrett Gilkey was playing at right guard, while DE Armonty Bryant was working at right defensive end.
- Tryout With a Big Play: One big play from a tryout doesn't mean they'll be signed, but Petrak also noted that tryout cornerback Akeem Auguste made the play of the game by tipping an out route and then hauling the pass in for an interception.
- Quarterbacks Doing a Fair Job: Could the Browns bring in a fourth quarterback? Daryl Ruiter from 92.3 The Fan has liked what he's seen from the tryouts: "Browns not really missing Colt McCoy; QB Ryan Aplin throws a nice ball - Kyle Frazier not bad either."
- Some Work Outside: Although most of the drills took place indoors, a few of the special teams drills did take place outdoors. Speaking of being outside, Jimmy Haslam was there again, and he certainly stood out with this orange sweater.
Sunday's Session is Closed: Although rookie minicamp carries over to Day 3 on Sunday, it will be completely closed off to the media. Because of that, it is unlikely that we'll have any recap/report of what went down on Day 3.