The Cleveland Browns hosted Day 2 of mandatory minicamp on Wednesday, and once again, running back Trent Richardson was at the focal point of attention with him commenting that he believes he will be ready for training camp. Find out the what went down today in our Day 2 minicamp recap below.
CLEVELAND BROWNS - DAY 2 MINICAMP RECAP (6/5/13)
- TE Cameron Exits Early: Some have called tight end Jordan Cameron the "X-factor" of the Browns' offense in 2013, but he's not going to be able to help his cause if he keeps suffering injuries. After making a touchdown catch, the Akron Beacon Journal reports that Cameron appeared to injure his left hamstring and did not return to practice.
- Barnidge Stepping Up: Cameron's injury paved the way for tight end Gary Barnidge to have a great day. Check out these reports from different sources on Barnidge's day:
ABJ: "Gary Barnidge practiced with the first-team offense when it used two tight ends. He made several catches, including an impressive one-handed grab on a pass from Hoyer."
PD: "Tight end Gary Barnidge made a fine one-handed grab of a Brian Hoyer pass down the deep right sideline."
Chronicle-Telegram: "Tight end Gary Barnidge continued his strong offseason with several catches, including a one-hander he tipped to himself."
- Kruger's Commitment: According to the Plain Dealer, linebacker Paul Kruger had a chance to go to the White House as part of the defending Super Bowl Champion Ravens, but as a member of the Browns and having minicamp scheduled today, he stayed in Cleveland. Wise choice! He will be heading out on Friday to collect his Super Bowl ring, though, which he can then show off to the locker room.
- We've Got a Competition: I thought it would be assumed that Shayne Graham would be our starting kicker, but the youngster, Brandon Bogotay, is looking to prove otherwise. Bogotay reportedly was 2-of-2 on field goals of 54 and 51 yards. Graham was reportedly 1-of-2, missing on a 55-yarder but connecting on a 46-yarders.
- Greco Finally Plays Second Team: At long last, John Greco was finally on the second team during practice instead of the first team. Jason Pinkston was with the first team at left guard, and Shawn Lauvao was with the first team at right guard.
- Plenty of Pass Knockdowns: The Plain Dealer praised first-round draft pick Barkevious Mingo. The outside linebacker batted down a pass for the second straight day, this time after a pass by Brian Hoyer. The deflection was then intercepted by cornerback Trevin Wade.
- Injury Report: The players held out were the same as Tuesday, with WR Jordan Norwood (hamstring), WR David Nelson (knee), OT Chris Faulk (knee), and S Jamoris Slaughter (knee). As stated above, Cameron left practice with a hamstring issue, and Richardson remained out.
- Brownies: CB Joe Haden broke up a couple of passes. ... CB Chris Owens was with Haden as a starter today. ... RB Trent Richardson said he weighed about 232 pounds last year, is currently 225 pounds, and wants to get down to 223 pounds.
WR Tori Gurley. Don't know him? You won't get to if he keeps dropping deep beauties like the one Brian Hoyer delivered a minute ago.— Steve Doerschuk (@sdoerschukREP) June 5, 2013
Best throw we saw today: Weeden rifling the ball through a puny window through two DBs 25 yards over middle ... fastball strike to D. Bess.— Steve Doerschuk (@sdoerschukREP) June 5, 2013
The Browns will have one more day of mandatory minicamp on Thursday. I'll post Rob Chudzinski's post-practice transcript in a little bit. In case you missed it, the Day 1 recap from minicamp is here.