UPDATE: The final cuts and moves to get the Browns to 75 players are in, including Hardesty going on IR and Marecic being waived. For the most recent list, click here.
The first round of roster cuts are due in to the NFL by 4:00 PM EST this Tuesday, but many teams have already started the process of waiving players, including the Cleveland Browns. On Sunday, we predicted which players would be let go in the team's first batch of cuts. The early surprise is WR Jordan Norwood.
List of Cleveland Browns Players Released So Far
- WR Jordan Norwood - (sigh), another Pokorny favorite is gone, following in the path of the likes of RB Jerome Harrison, TE Evan Moore, and CB Coye Francies. Talent-wise, there's no reason Norwood couldn't be on this team. He had trouble staying healthy in camp, and didn't survive long in 2012 before sustaining an injury. It's looking good for the roster odds of WR Josh Cooper right about now, at least until WR Josh Gordon's suspension is done. More about Norwood's release can be found here.
- WR Cordell Roberson - This is a marginal surprise in the sense that I thought he was viewed as the best of the undrafted free agent bunch, although a case can be made that Dominique Croom has out-done him during the preseason games with highlight catches. Roberson may still stick around on the practice squad.
- DL Dave Kruger - It was a feel-good story to have Paul Kruger's younger brother spend a training camp with him, but the journey comes to an end as Dave never saw many reps in practice or the preseason games.
- LB Tommy Smith - Smith was a sound tackler and I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up on the Browns' practice squad. He didn't play against the Colts this past week, and I think the coaching staff wants to get a look at the second-year linebackers on the bubble, James-Michael Johnson and Tank Carder, before deciding on them.
- CB Vernon Kearney - Between Leon McFadden, Akeem Auguste, and Abdul Kanneh, the Browns have enough backups to use against the Bears to the point where they didn't need Kearney anymore (that assumes that Auguste and Kanneh are safe at this point, though).
List of Cleveland Browns Players Placed on IR
- RB Dion Lewis - This was of the season-ending variety. After being the star of training camp, Lewis broke his leg against the Lions in the second preseason shame. We'll always wonder, "what if?"
The Browns' roster now sits at 82 players, so they have to make 7 more cuts to get down to 75 players. They could also decide to place several players on injured reserve, which is something we speculated yesterday.
We will keep this thread current as more cuts come in. Also, be sure to follow us on Twitter: