The Cleveland Browns announced a bunch of moves today in order to get their roster down to 75 players. Usually, the first batch of cuts doesn't involve a whole lot of surprises, but that wasn't the case for Rob Chudzinski's first year as head coach.
The biggest surprise? RB Montario Hardesty's season is over, as he was placed on injured reserve, despite having an injury that was only expected to keep him out for two-three games. Also, FB Owen Marecic, the team's fourth-round draft pick several years ago, was released. A full listing of the moves announced today are below.
Browns Placed on Injured Reserve
- RB Montario Hardesty - This is a pretty big surprise. Early in training camp, I thought there was a serious chance that Hardesty could be cut, due to the emergence of Dion Lewis. Hardesty then had knee surgery, which had an estimated timetable of a Week 2-3 return. Lewis broke his leg, though, and Brandon Jackson hadn't had a lot of success running the ball. The Browns might be in the market for acquiring a running back now that Hardesty is out of the mix. This was the final year of his rookie contract, so he probably won't be brought back in 2014.
Browns Waived on Tuesday
- FB Owen Marecic - So long, Marecic. At least he went out with a bang, making a diving catch and rolling around on the ground, before getting up and plowing forward for a few more yards last week against the Colts. Marecic goes down as an awful fourth-round pick in terms of contributions -- he couldn't catch and couldn't block.He'll be replaced by RB Chris Ogbonnaya at the position this year.
- NT Nicholas Jean-Baptiste - Like Tannahill, Jean-Baptiste saw very few reps during the preseason, and never stood a chance to compete with backup nose tackle Ishmaa'ily Kitchen like I expected him to. Jean-Baptiste was a Baylor teammate of Phil Taylor's.
Browns Waived/Terminated Earlier in the Week
Note: our thoughts on the players below can be found here.
The Browns also claimed two players off waivers -- P Colston Schmidt from the 49ers, and OLB Paul Hazel from the Jaguars. More information on each of those players can be found here. In the mean time, leave your reactions to the latest batch of cuts in the comments section below.
More from Dawgs By Nature:
- Browns Claim P Colton Schmidt, OLB Paul Hazel Off Waivers
- NFL Roster Cuts: Browns Place RB Montario Hardesty on IR, FB Owen Marecic Waived
- Browns' Injury Report: Campbell Misses Practice With Illness; More Work for Hoyer?
- Joshua Cribbs is a Free Agent Again; Released by Raiders
- DBN Fantasy Football Draft Results: Vote on the Best Team!