When the Browns signed Nelson, it seemed like a great, low-risk move. Financially, that is still the case:
WR David Nelson only had $25 K guaranteed in his one-year deal with the Browns. No real risk for them.— Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) August 31, 2013
In terms of roster depth, Cleveland now faces some question marks at wide receiver heading into Week 1. They'll be rolling with Greg Little, Davone Bess, and Travis Benjamin as their three receivers while Josh Gordon serves a suspension. The final roster has not been named yet, but it would seem like Josh Cooper and Tori Gurley may now make the roster. Other options include bringing Jordan Norwood back or keeping the oft-forgotten Naaman Roosevelt.
Nelson didn't get many reps in training camp because he was still rehabbing. He finally played in the final preseason game against the Chicago Bears, but did not look to be in game shape -- he dropped a pass, slipped twice, got tackled easily, and just didn't look very comfortable, even against backup defenders. I thought Nelson would get the benefit of the doubt that he was just rusty, but that wasn't the case.
We'll have more on the Browns' roster cuts throughout the day.
More from Dawgs By Nature:
- NFL Roster Cuts 2013: Cleveland Browns Getting Down to 53 players by Saturday at 6 PM
- Browns Reportedly Cut WR David Nelson
- Browns Cutting OLB Justin Cole & ILB Justin Staples
- NFL Roster Cuts Open Thread (for Browns fans)
- Cleveland Browns 53-Man Roster Projection, Final Version: Who Survives the Cuts?
- Browns Roster Cuts: No Surprises as Cleveland Gets Down to 68 Players