The big news coming out of Monday's practice for the Cleveland Browns was that starting right guard Shawn Lauvao was carted off after his leg collapsed in a one-on-one drill with NT Phil Taylor. After practice, reports surfaced saying that Lauvao may have just rolled his ankle and that the team was taking extra precaution. We'll see. Let's get to the rest of what happened on Day 10 of training camp for the .
CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 10 (8/5/13)
- T-Rich Returns to Practice: After sitting out a couple of practices from being kicked in the shin, RB Trent Richardson returned to practice on Monday, as promised. Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer said that Richardson took part in goal line drills, but did not take all of the reps with the first-team offense during a two-minute drill: that duty belonged to RB Dion Lewis. Richardson said he wants to play Thursday, but that it'll basically be a coach's decision.
- Hardesty Sits Again, Giving Away Opportunities: RB Montario Hardesty missed yet another practice due to a hamstring injury, which is giving guys like RB Dion Lewis and RB Brandon Jackson a chance to shine. NFL.com reporter Aditi Kinkhabwala was at Browns camp today, and what was one of the big things she noticed?
I'm not sure what this is about, but Browns RB - and Pitt grad - Dion Lewis is catching a lot of balls. And looking good doing it.— Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) August 5, 2013
Brandon Jackson doesn't like being the forgotten back. Says he is out to prove to all he can be a force. "And I will."— Steve Doerschuk (@sdoerschukREP) August 5, 2013
- Goal Line Drills: Based on the drills that were run, this sounded like the type of practice the Browns should have run at Family Fun Night. One of the drills the Browns practiced was at the goal line, where it sounds like RB Chris Ogbonnaya received a couple of carries with success. QB Brandon Weeden also hit FB Owen Marecic in the flat after a playaction fake for a touchdown. Backup QB Jason Campbell found undrafted free agent TE Travis Tannahill for a touchdown.
- Two-Minute Drills: We don't have the play-by-play of the two-minute drives, but we know the outcome of the drives. QB Brandon Weeden and the first-team offense had two drives, while the backup quarterbacks and respective units each had one drive.
- Weeden & First-Team Offense: The first drive ended with some form of a penalty as QB Brandon Weeden tried to spike the ball with 1-second left to set up a field goal. I would assume that somebody wasn't lined up properly in time. Even with the failed drive, the Browns still gave K Shayne Graham a 53-yard field goal attempt, and he made it.
In Weeden's second attempt, the offense needed to score a touchdown. From the 11 yard line, Weeden reportedly connected with WR Davone Bess for a touchdown after he ran a double move on CB Chris Owens.
- The Backup Quarterbacks: QB Jason Campbell needed to score a field goal on his drive. According to Scott Petrak of the Chronicle-Telegram, his big play on the drive was an out route to WR Travis Benjamin, helping to set up a 51-yard attempt for K Brandon Bogotay. Bogotay drilled it.
QB Brian Hoyer had the assignment of needing to score a touchdown. Like Weeden, Hoyer was able to bring the offense in for a touchdown as well, finding WR Josh Cooper for a 6-yard score.
- Catching Fire: Later in practice, it sounded like the Browns were running some general 11-on-11 drills, and that's where QB Brandon Weeden starting to "find his groove," as Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository put it.
Brandon Weeden had one hell of a set of 11 on 11s just now. Multiple TD passes, very crisp #Browns— Will Burge (@WillBurge) August 5, 2013
- Getting the Safeties Back: One of the low-key bits of news is the fact that both of the starting safeties are back and practicing in team drills at camp. T.J. Ward and Tashaun Gipson were both practicing, although it sounded like Johnson Bademosi may have still been receiving some first-team reps over Ward.
Bademosi reportedly tipped a pass by QB Brandon Weeden, which allowed CB Joe Haden to snag another interception. S Josh Aubrey continues to make more of an impact than any other undrafted free agent on the roster, too:
#Browns undrafted safety Josh Aubrey gets into backfield to tackle RB Maysonet for loss on 4th down in goal line drill— Scott Petrak ct (@ScottPetrak) August 5, 2013
- Brownies: At the start of practice, K Shayne Graham drilled 6-of-6 of his field goals, as both kickers seem to be turning things up a notch. ... WR David Nelson remained idle with a sore knee. ... OLB Paul Kruger hit a sled so hard that he broke it, and the linebackers had to stop the drill (see picture below). ... The Browns offered a live look in earlier in the day. ... Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal said that OLB Barkevious Mingo got some first-defense snaps in goal line drills. ... The Browns will practice in front of the public again on Tuesday before having a closed session on Wednesday.
Photos & Videos from Twitter
Equipment guys fixing a sled. They have to fix it because Paul Kruger hit it so hard it broke. pic.twitter.com/pbRBkisdoL— Mark Schwab (@MarkSchwab) August 5, 2013
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- Lauvao carted off with injured ankle, Trent Richardson returns (Ulrich, Akron Beacon Journal)
- Lauvao carted off field with ankle injury (Grossi, ESPN Cleveland)