The Cleveland Browns took to the practice field Tuesday afternoon for their final practice open to the public before they face the St. Louis Rams on Thursday. They will do a walkthrough on Wednesday, but that will only be open to the media. Let's get to the rest of what happened on Day 11 of training camp for the .
CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 11 (8/6/13)
- Practice Agenda: The tone of Tuesday's practice was a little bit different because it was focused on having a "scout team," representing the St. Louis Rams, for the offense and defense to go up against. For those who aren't familiar with what that means, certain players will try to "emulate" players or plays that our staff feels the Rams will run. The players were not in full pads Tuesday.
- Richardson Likely Out Thursday: After practice, head coach Rob Chudzinski would not rule RB Trent Richardson out for Thursday's game against the Rams. The writing appears to be on the wall, though. With backup RB Montario Hardesty also out (with a hamstring injury), it was RB Dion Lewis who was taking the first-team reps as the offense went up against the scout defense, according to Scott Petrak of the Chronicle-Telegram. Richardson was doing some practice work, just not to the extent that Lewis was getting.
- Pinkston Leaves Early: Starting RG Shawn Lauvao is still being evaluated for an ankle injury, but at the very least, he's expected to be out for this week's game against the Rams. His replacement, OG Jason Pinkston, was at practice for about the first two hours before leaving. He was reportedly excused from practice to attend a funeral.
- Ward Still Getting Limited Reps: Although S T.J. Ward took part in practice again, he was limited in his reps and will probably be rested this Thursday. FS Tashaun Gipson has been a full-go with the first-team defense, though, so he should be ready for this week's game. Since Gipson returned, S Johnson Bademosi has taken Ward's spot at strong safety, which was previously being filled by undrafted rookie free agent Josh Aubrey.
- Pair of Picks for Campbell: There weren't many plays being reported on by the media Tuesday, perhaps due to the nature of the practice being run. Two of the plays that were mentioned involved QB Jason Campbell throwing interceptions: one was deflected by CB Buster Skrine and snatched by CB Trevin Wade, while the other was picked by CB Chris Owens. Neither Skrine nor Owens will let the other one out-do them this camp.
- Injury Report: The following players were held out of practice and will likely miss Thursday's game: RB Montario Hardesty, WR David Nelson, FB Brad Smelley, FB Brock Bolen, OG Shawn Lauvao, OT Oniel Cousins, and OT Chris Faulk. Besides Ward, the defense is quite healthy right now. S Jamoris Slaughter seems to be on the edge of returning, as he is taking some reps. UPDATE: It sounds like DE Dave Kruger sat out with a concussion. Not sure how he got that.
- Hensley Visits Browns Camp: I know there aren't a lot of fans here of ESPN's AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley, but he has been a Browns camp the past two days. Today, he did a live Q&A chat an hour before practice with fans, and then reported his observations and took more questions as practice was taking place. I applaud him for making the effort; you can read the three pages of his live blogging here.
- Brownies: WR Josh Gordon burned CB Leon McFadden on a deep pass from QB Brandon Weeden, according to Ulrich. ... TE Kellen Davis had a "bad drop" while representing the scout team offense. ... QB Brandon Weeden was hitting receivers in stride on the slant pattern, per Hensley. ... RB Brandon Jackson was still working with the third-team offense. ... I haven't mentioned it lately, but temperatures in Cleveland continue to be ridiculously cool, only reaching the mid-70s. ... Browns owner Jimmy Haslam was on hand to take in practice. ... After practice, Rob Chudzinski said the starters will get one quarter of work Thursday. ... The second and third quarter will belong to the second teams, and the third team will get the final quarter.
Photos & Videos from Twitter
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- Richardson, Ward sit out team drills; starters to play 1Q Thursday (Ulrich, Akron Beacon Journal)
- Yount is next to receive five-year extension (Grossi, ESPN Cleveland)
- News and notes from Day 11 of training camp (Petrak, Chronicle-Telegram)