The Cleveland Browns announced their eight-man practice squad to begin the 2013 season. Here is a list of the players on the squad, along with a description for each of them:
- OG Caylin Hauptmann - 6-3, 300 lbs. - The undrafted free agent rookie offensive guard is back after originally making the 53-man roster on Saturday, but being waived on Sunday. Cleveland must have liked Hauptmann's potential more than I originally thought, unless they just want another body to practice against who is familar with the team already.
- WR Jasper Collins - 5-11, 190 lbs. - How often does a player not participate in training camp or the preseason for an NFL team in their rookie season, yet get signed to a practice squad? That's what happened for Collins, an undrafted free agent out of Mount Union. He did sign at one point with the Miami Dolphins, but was waived/injured right near the beginning of camp.
Perhaps he had potential but was recovering from an injury over the past month, and is now ready-to-go. In an interview with the Canton Repository before the draft, Collins said that the Browns were one of the teams that scouted him, so the interest has been there for awhile.
- WR Tori Gurley - 6-4, 230 lbs. - With the Browns waiving David Nelson, I thought Gurley would make the final roster. He didn't, but it still has to be a good sign for him that he was the only offensive player from camp who was retained who didn't make the 53-man roster.
Gurley offers great size and stood out at both the Family Fun Day scrimmage and the final preseason game. He finished the preseason with 4 catches for 60 yards. If something happens to one of our receivers, I think Gurley would get an instant call-up to the 53-man roster.
- S Darius Eubanks - 6-2, 222 lbs. - Compared to the rest of our safeties, Eubanks' size certainly stands out, as he seems more like a linebacker. He is an undrafted rookie free agent out of Georgia Southern who spent camp with the Minnesota Vikings. During the preseason, he registered 8 tackles and 1 forced fumble. In 69 snaps this preseason, PFF rated him positively with a grade of 2.3.
- CB Kip Edwards - 5-10, 190 lbs. - An undrafted free agent out of Missouri, Edwards spent camp with the Buffalo Bills, where he registered 7 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 tackles for a loss, 4 quarterback hits, and 2 assists on special teams. With those type of stats, especially the amount of hits he had on the quarterback, I had to do a double take to make sure this guy wasn't actually a linebacker or something. In 74 snaps this preseason, PFF rated him positively with a grade of 1.6.
- CB Terrence Frederick - 5-10, 190 lbs. - Originally a seventh-round draft choice by the Steelers in 2012, Frederick was waived before the start of the regular season and then ended up on the New York Giants practice squad. Frederick was in camp with the Giants this season, where he finished the preseason with 5 tackles, 1 forced fumble, and 1 special teams tackle. In 87 snaps this preseason, PFF rated him positively with a grade of 1.2.
- CB Julian Posey - 5-10, 190 lbs. - This is the older brother of former Buckeyes wide receiver DeVier Posey. Posey played for Ohio in college, but actually entered the NFL back in 2011, so he's older than most of the guys on the practice squad.
He spent camp with the Jets in 2011 and 2012, but was released. He then signed on to the Miami Dolphins practice squad mid-way through 2012, and he spent this year's camp with them. Perhaps the Browns will try to pry away some knowledge from Posey regarding their Week 1 opponent.
Posey registered 8 tackles and 2 passes defended during the preseason. In 152 snaps this preseason, PFF rated him positively with a grade of 0.7.