Day 2 of Cleveland Browns minicamp took place on Wednesday, with an intense battle between linemen being one of the standout stories. Our Day 2 minicamp report is below, derived from noteworthy news and nuggets from local media reports.
CLEVELAND BROWNS - DAY 2 MINICAMP RECAP (6/11/14)
- The Last of Josh Gordon? Could we have seen the last of WR Josh Gordon when it comes to participating in practice? After tweaking his hamstring on Tuesday, Gordon was riding the stationary bike on Wednesday. Head coach Mike Pettine has already said that he won't participate in Thursday's practice.
The NFL might announce its ruling on Gordon some time during the dead period over the next six weeks. If it ends up being a full-year ban like ILB Daryl Washington of the Cardinals, then Gordon won't be allowed to participate in any team activities or functions until he is re-instated. The waiting game continues on.
- Garrett Gilkey vs. Phil Taylor: Two heavyweights collided on Wednesday as OG Garrett Gilkey and NT Phil Taylor fought each other. Sometimes, you hear about scuffles in training camp, but based on the media reports, this might have been one of the most intense fights in camp history. Just how serious did it get? Here is what Tom Reed of the Plain Dealer relayed:
Gilkey and Taylor did more than push, shove and curse each other. Gilkey threw several uppercuts and an enraged Taylor jumped over teammates, firing some serious punches at his antagonist. At one point, the nose guard shoved receiver Miles Austin, who was not part of the drill, aside to make another run at Gilkey.If only there was some video of that. After practice, Pettine said, "We always use the phrase, 'Competitive not combative.'" Pettine also said that Gilkey, who was already involved in another fight this offseason, is in the mix for a starting role.
- Not Down Pat Yet: QB Johnny Manziel got two opportunities to lead a simulated two-minute drill near the end of the first half, and both drives resulted in three-and-outs, according to Nate Ulrich of the Akron beacon Journal. QB Tyler Thigpen, leading the second-team offense, got the team in position for a 45-yard field goal attempt.
Ogbonnaya, West Getting Reps: I've been waiting to hear RB Chris Ogbonnaya's name mentioned this offseason, and Glenn Moore of the Plain Dealer finally dropped a note about him today. While veteran RB Ben Tate is only doing individual drills in minicamp, Moore says that both Ogbonnaya and RB Terrance West are receiving first-team reps at running back.
The Zone-Read Option: As if we had any doubts that it would be incorporated, Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland says that Kyle Shanahan is already prepping all of the quarterbacks for some zone-read stuff:
There has been a lot of work on the zone-read option the first two days of this minicamp with all four quarterbacks – not just Manziel.Grossi also asked Pettine if the team will incorporate a package into the gameplan for Manziel (even with QB Brian Hoyer starting), and he indicated that they might.
Armstrong Praise Continues: Although everyone loves the effort and quickness displayed by WR Andrew Hawkins this offseason, it sounds like one of the "flashy stars" of minicamp so far is WR Anthony Armstrong. Today, it was Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository singing his praises:
I'm not just picking up that unknown WR Anthony Armstrong, 31, is a minicamp star. The QBs trust him, and the coaches are really impressed.— Steve Doerschuk (@sdoerschukREP) June 11, 2014
- Injury Notes: The same crew of players on the injury report Tuesday were busy on the stationary bikes on Wednesday, too, except that OG Jason Pinkston was back practicing. New additions to the sidelines included DB Robert Nelson and ILB Karlos Dansby.
- Brownies: Some special guests in attendance included musician Michael Stanley, ESPN's Ron Jaworksi, and Mike Pettine Sr. ... QB Bernie Kosar is helping quarterbacks at Chicago Bears minicamp. ... CB Pierre Desir intercepted a pass thrown by QB Connor Shaw, and CB Justin Gilbert almost intercepted a pass thrown by QB Johnny Manziel. ... TE Jordan Cameron had a collision with OLB Barkevious Mingo, but shook it off and got back to the huddle. ... WR Jonathan Krause made a couple of plays among the undrafted rookie receivers on Wednesday.
Pierre Desir has had a very good day. Int pass breakups blanket coverage could be a steal #Browns— Mike Cairns (@MikeCairns5) June 11, 2014
The Browns will be back on the practice field Thursday for Day 3 (the final day) of minicamp.