Win Tax: Real incentive or just grandstanding?
Ed FitzGerald, a Cuyahoga County executive and the Democratic nominee for governor, made headlines on both the local and national level last week after proposing a plan he coined as the "win tax."
- "Gilbert making name for himself with Browns" (AP) - "Unlike Cleveland's more famous first-round draft pick, Justin Gilbert likes to keep things low-profile, ducking the limelight. No, he's not Johnny Manziel — off the field."
- "Mingo looking for big jump" (FSO) - "Barkevious Mingo had, by many observers, a less than stellar rookie season in 2013. After exploding on the scene in his first three games, his production dramatically fell off."
- "The space between: How far is the gap between Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel" (WFNY) - "Johnny Manziel earned his first promotion faster than most 20-somethings find a summer job. In the blink of an eye, Manziel bypassed Tyler Thigpen for the second quarterback spot during organized team actives last month."
- "Mike Pettine: There’s A 'Level Of Frustration' While Awaiting NFL’s Josh Gordon Ruling" (92.3 The Fan) - "Browns Head Coach Mike Pettine joined Bull & Fox Tuesday in Berea to discuss how he judges players during offseason workouts..."
- "Inside Slant: Offseason financial health" (ESPN) - "With the exception of a few unsigned draft choices, the business of the 2014 NFL offseason is largely complete. Now, then, is a good time to assess where teams are heading into the season..."
- "Sources: Seahawks anticipate minicamp no-show from Marshawn Lynch" (Yahoo! Sports) - "When the Seattle Seahawks convene for mandatory minicamp next week, the team doesn't expect star running back Marshawn Lynch to be there, according to sources familiar with the team's thinking."
- "Time to overhaul (install?) system of NFL player-agent money dealings" (CBS) - "The NFLPA has long permitted financial arrangements -- fiscal and otherwise -- between players and agents to exist on nebulous terrain, fraught with potential peril..."
- "Report: Owner of Pabst Brewing may bid on Bills" (PFT) - "It’s fitting, we suppose, that at a time the Bills reportedly are trying to extend the window for selling beer at Ralph Wilson Stadium, the latest potential buyer of the franchise owns a brewery."