Before I begin with today's training camp notes, the Browns made some roster moves this morning. They signed DB Ralph Brown and OL Mike Mabry, and waived DB Chris Thompson. Brown played in 16 games with the Vikings last year and was a key player on their special teams defensive unit. He has been in the league for six years, and could become a veteran presence if someone else happens to go down. Mabry has been on a few practice squads the past couple of seasons. Nothing too major, but we'll see what develops. And now, here are today's camp notes:
- Another Step: In another positive sign towards his recovery, Braylon Edwards took part in team drills today, and made an outstanding catch in the corner of the end zone while keeping both toes in bounds. He was not involved in contact drills, and will not play against the Eagles this Thursday.
- Moved to Guard: In a surprising move, defensive linemen Andrew Hoffman was moved to offensive guard. The move is being attempted due to the sudden decline in depth on the Browns offensive line. With LeCharles Bentley gone, Bob Hallen is not our primary backup. Rookie guard Issac Sowells will be out several weeks with an injured ankle, and Todd Washington decided to retire for the heck of it. Hoffman did ok at his position, but must get used to how it's played. On a playaction play, he ran down the field before the ball was even thrown.
- Dorsey Dailey: In today's report for Ken Dorsey, he was almost picked off by Brodney Pool. Since it was only an "almost", I guess that means this was one of his best days of camp so far.
- He Can Catch: He showed it a little last year, and he's doing the same in camp this year. Fullback Terrelle Smith made a nifty catch on a quick-out route. Meanwhile, Joe Jurevicius and Dennis Northcutt each had rare drops today.
- Break-Ups: Cornerback Leigh Bodden busted up a screen play to fullback Corey McIntyre, while cornerback Daven Holly broke up a pass intended for Brandon Rideau. The screen pass was thrown by Charlie Frye, while the pass to Rideau was thrown by Derek Anderson.