Organized team activities (OTA) give a nice taste of what's to come in minicamp and training camp. However, this is still the time of the year where things should never be taken too critically. A few ducks and even several interceptions at this point aren't going to put a nail in the coffin for anyone. Here are some various player notes from the OTA:
- Charlie Frye: The competition of Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson has not made things uncomfortable for him. He stated that new offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski has installed a more up-temp offense that pushes the ball down the field. He also feels more confident in his abilities than he has the past two years, and says that his wrist fracture from last November is 100 percent healed.
- Winslow Sits Out: As expected, tight end Kellen Winslow did not participate in any of the drills not related to his rehabilitation. He is expected to be a full-go by training camp.
- Punting The Way: As he was last season, punter Dave Zastudil was punting just fine, without missing a beat. Speaking of punters, did anyone see that Chris Gardocki was released?
- Big No. 3 Pick: Third overall pick Joe Thomas worked as the left tackle for the second unit, as expected from a youngster.
- How's the Other?: How about quarterback Brady Quinn you ask? He hasn't thrown many good balls just yet, but that's always reported as excusable this early in the "season."
- No Trade Request: Veteran lineman Kevin Shaffer stayed that while he was depressed at first that the Browns drafted Thomas, he never asked the team for a trade.
- Wright Getting In: With Leigh Bodden nursing an injury still, the Browns gave rookie cornerback Eric Wright some playing time at cornerback with the first unit. It already sounds like he'll be getting more immediate playing time than guys like Travis Wilson, Antonio Perkins, Isaac Sowells, and DeMario Minter did in their rookie seasons.
- Browns Sign LB: The Browns have signed linebacker Kris Griffin from the Kansas City Chiefs. He has primarily been a special teams contributor in his short career.
Quarterback: Charlie Frye
Running Back/Fullback: Jamal Lewis (RB), Lawrence Vickers (FB)
Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: Joe Jurevicius (WR), Tim Carter (WR), Steve Heiden (TE)
Offensive Line: Kevin Shaffer (LT), Eric Steinbach (LG), Hank Fraley (C), Seth McKinney (RG), Ryan Tucker (RT)
Defensive Line: Orpheus Roye (LE), Ted Washington (DT), Robarie Smith (RE)
Linebackers: Kamerion Wimbley (OLB), Andra Davis (ILB), D'Qwell Jackson (ILB), Willie McGinest (OLB)
Secondary: Kenny Wright (CB), Sean Jones (SS), Brodney Pool (FS), Daven Holly (CB)
We'll have more OTA news here at Dawgs By Nature as it comes along.