"I've been itching -- itching -- to do that for three years, especially to throw a deep pass and not just a slant route or something," Cribbs said.
After hearing what Joshua Cribbs did in practice today, it's worth starting off today's report with that quote. Anxious to hear what he did? And, are you dying to know who will start opposite Donte Stallworth against the Giants? Then read on...
TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 24 (8/15/08)
Cribbs Tosses 50-Yarder: Yes, Cribbs finally got his shot at lining up at quarterback and making a highlight play by actually acting like a quarterback would. With Brady Quinn flankering left, Cribbs took the snap and heaved a beautiful spiral downfield, connecting with Travis Wilson for a 50-yard touchdown. Quinn isn't creating a QB controversy; but Cribbs is certainly making his bid. For the record, the DB on the play was Gerard Lawson.
- More to Come: I can't wait to see what Rob Chudzinski dials up Week 1 for Cribbs. We've heard all camp that Cribbs has a special package, and special packages need to be used against tough teams. The Cowboys are a tough team.
- Starting WR Named: It came down to Steve Sanders and Travis Wilson, but it was Wilson who got the nod and will start against the New York Giants. One of the clinchers came down to Sanders missing OTA's with a foot injury, while Wilson excelled in OTA's. Besides Wilson's touchdown catch from Cribbs, he also caught a deep touchdown from Derek Anderson.
- Cribbs at WR Too: Besides his beautiful deep pass, Cribbs had arguably his best day at receiver of camp.
- Rogers Rests: It was another day off for NT Shaun Rogers, who was nursing a sore knee. He is scheduled to start against the Giants without issue.
- Key Keeps Up: When a player's name keeps coming up after being signed just recently, people pay attention. Travis Key made another huge play in camp Friday, tipping an Anderson to Wilson pass to himself for a 25-yard interception, according to the Plain Dealer. He then took the pick back for a touchdown. If that doesn't put your name on the map, I don't know what will.
- Kasper's Chances: In a post-practice interview, Crennel hinted that Kevin Kasper would have a difficult time making the team after missing so much time. That was obvious, but now we've heard it from the coach's mouth, somewhat.
- Dorsey to Sanders: On a deep ball thrown by Ken Dorsey, WR Steve Sanders went above two defenders to haul in a nice catch, according to the official site of the Browns.
- Adams Hits Hard: DB Mike Adams had two great hits during practice -- one on RB Austin Scott and the other on WR Paul Hubbard. Safety Brodney Pool also rocked WR Lance Leggett on one play.
- Huge Crowd: At 2,709 people in attendance, it was one of the Browns' most crowded days at camp this year.
- FINAL PRACTICE: Saturday is your LAST CHANCE to see the Browns practice in Berea this year, and the weather is supposed to be fantastic. The practice is from 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM, so head on out (but be prepared for a large crowd)!
Here is your link collection for much of the information above, as always:
Cribbs flashes a strong arm (Cleveland Plain Dealer, Cabot)
It's only practice, but Cribbs gets his wish (Official Site, King)
Wilson will start Monday (Official Site, King)
Day 24 of training camp (WTAM, Knott)
Training camp report: Day 24 (Cleveland Plain Dealer, Cabot)
Don't forget to check out my first 53-man roster projection, which was posted before Friday's training camp report.