Rumors began swirling around late last week that DB Gary Baxter might be contemplating retirement after his knees were acting up on him again. There seemed to be brighter light at the end of the tunnel the past couple of days, until this morning when it was announced that the veteran had arthroscopic surgery to remove loose cartilage from his knee.
While that doesn't create an extra void in the secondary (we knew all along that Baxter was hit-or-miss), it would've been great to see him step out on the field against the Jets Thursday. Still, by no means has he been ruled out of the regular season.
TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 14 (8/5/08)
- Update on Cribbs: He was in camp today, and he made it clear that he's not going to hold out. Everything that happens negotiation-wise will be between the team and his agent.
- Light Practice: In preparation for their game against the Jets, the team took it light during practice Tuesday. The team will have some brief drills on Wednesday, but that will be closed to the public.
- More Success: They cannot be denied. QB Derek Anderson hooked up with WR Braylon Edwards for two more touchdowns during team drills -- one of them a one-handed bobble, and the other a 55-yard reception over Eric Wright, according to the Plain Dealer.
- Perry Christmas: It'll feel like Christmas to DB Jereme Perry if he wins a roster spot with the Browns again. He continues to have a pretty firm grip on the fourth corner spot, and with Baxter out indefinitely, his roster odds have increased (though so have DB Nick Sorenson's). Perry broke up a pass intended for Edwards in red zone drills Tuesday.
- Curse the Knees: This year, the voodoo has been placed on player's knees. After reporting that Beau Bell's injury wasn't too serious yesterday, he missed his second consecutive session Tuesday. If the knee doesn't respond to treatment, arthroscopic surgery will be under consideration, according to head coach Romeo Crennel.
- Kasper Way Behind: I know the team was initially intrigued by WR Kevin Kasper, but at this point you'd have to imagine he's way behind Travis Wilson, and he's not getting any closer. He reportedly suffered somewhat of a setback by re-aggravating his hamstring injury either today or in the past couple of days.
- OUT on Thursday: The following players, not including Baxter, will reportedly miss Thursday's game for sure due to injury: TE Kellen Winslow, FB Lawrence Vickers, WR Kevin Kasper, OG Seth McKinney, and TE Steve Heiden. Heiden did return to practice Tuesday with a brace on his right knee, according to the Plain Dealer.
- Don't Feel Bad: It seems like the Browns are getting hammered with injuries, but I'd say the Steelers and Ravens have suffered more than the Browns up to this point.
Your link collection for much of the information above:
Browns insider: McMillian gets shot (Cleveland Plain Dealer, Grossi)
Training camp log: Day 13 (Cleveland Plain Dealer, Cabot)
Another setback for Baxter (Official Site, Jackson)
The next training camp session isn't until Saturday, so that means it'll be all about getting pumped up and then reviewing the Browns' first exhibition game of the year.