|CLEVELAND BROWNS (0-0)||GAME #1||GREEN BAY PACKERS (0-0)|
|Date:||August 15, 2008||Location:||Green Bay, WI |
|Time:||8:00 p.m. ET ||Stadium:||Lambeau Field |
|TV:||WKYC (NBC, Ch. 3) ||SBN Coverage:||Acme Packing Company|
|Radio:||WMMS, 100.7 FM||Injury Report:||N/A|
Are you ready for some football?
The Cleveland Browns kick off their preseason today against the Green Bay Packers. One question has surrounded the Browns all week: who is going to be the team's starting quarterback? Will it be the gun-slinging, opening-day starter from a year ago in Derek Anderson? Or will it be the team's former first-round draft pick and Notre Dame alumni, Brady Quinn?
Quarterback competitions aren't new in Cleveland, but this one has a much different feel to it. After last season, I think the majority of us legitimately believed that Quinn would be this year's starter, no matter what. Even when Eric Mangini was first hired, I still remained confident that Quinn would be the guy. As the months progressed though, we all started becoming unsure of ourselves. After a few weeks of training camp and both quarterbacks getting equal work, it's anybody's job at this point. Who will seize the advantage tonight? We'll see. I haven't seen an official word on which quarterback is starting,
but fans are saying that Tony Grossi told Sirius NFL Radio that Anderson would be getting the start.
UPDATE: QB BRADY QUINN IS GETTING THE START
- The usage of the wide receivers will be a big issue for me tonight. Braylon Edwards should be playing, but who will be on the field opposite him? Will it be one of the rookies, Mike Furrey, or will it be a surprise in Joshua Cribbs?
- We'll finally get to see James Davis in action when players are really laying into him. I'm expecting Jerome Harrison to excel a little more than Davis tonight, but that might only because I've yet to see Davis flourish in person. Let's see if he wows us all.
- Can't wait to hear Bernie Kosar on the microphone.
- Check your emails if you said that you wanted to play in the DBN Fantasy Football league. I went through the list and took some veterans and randomly selected some newcomers. If you didn't make it, I'm sorry -- I am still considering holding a second league.
- We've heard great things about D'Qwell Jackson, and I have confidence he will be fine. I want to see how newcomers Eric Barton looks compared to Andra Davis.
- Does Kamerion Wimbley have more than one move under the new regime? What types of looks will we see Rob Ryan unleash? How will safety Abram Elam perform in his first game as a Brown?
- Today we get to evaluate which players are best suited for our offensive line on the right side. We'll also get a better idea on which tight ends are where on the depth chart, although I'm guessing Steve Heiden might be limited or might not play.
- My guess at the reps we'll see by quarter:
Derek AndersonBrady Quinn/First Team
Brady QuinnDerek Anderson/Second Team
- Brett Ratliff/Third Team
- Brett Ratliff/Richard Bartel/Third Team
- Here's to hoping for an injury-free game on both sides of the ball!
This is the official gameday thread for the Cleveland Browns first preseason game of the season, as they take on the Green Bay Packers. All comments regarding the game as it goes on and immediately following the game should remain in this thread. Enjoy the game, and GO BROWNS!!!