With the Cleveland Browns set to do battle with the Detroit Lions this weekend, defensive lineman Louis Leonard got into a scuffle with defensive line coach Bryan Cox. The last person who did that was Shaun Smith. He now plays for the Detroit Lions.
TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 20 (8/20/09)
It happened at the Swan.Whatever happened, Louis Leonard apparently cursed at Cox. As a punishment, Cox told Leonard to run a lap and to not stop running until he told him to. Leonard ran four laps in a row, something you can imagine being exhausting to a big man like that. Leonard seemed to have a cordial attitude about it afterward though, so I don't think we'll see him waived before regular cuts.
- Update on the Lions: Lions top receiver Calvin Johnson will sit out against the Browns. On top of that, our first-string defense won't know which quarterback they'll be facing until close to game time. It could be Daunte Culpepper, Drew Stanton, or Matthew Stafford.
- Bring Out the Cart: The third player of training camp has received the cart. Following in the footsteps of OL Rex Hadnot and WR Syndric Steptoe, DL Melila Purcell was carted off the field with an apparent ankle or Achilles injury. You might see another situation in which the team injured/waives him.
Transactions: Gone are OL Branndon Braxton and WR Edward Williams. Replacing them are OG Patrick Murray and LB Robert McCune. Information on the new players here.
- Injury Updates: OL Ryan Tucker returned to practice today. DL Shaun Rogers still isn't practicing, and neither are LB Titus Brown, RB Jerome Harrison, and LB David Bowens. With Bowens and Brown going down, LB Alex Hall will probably start against the Lions Saturday.
- Mangini's a Comedian: This comes from Rapid Reports: "Browns coach Eric Mangini said he has peaked at the notebooks compiled by players from meetings. When asked if there were any doodles on them, he joked that he saw one with a drawing of his face with an "X" through it."
- No Huddle: A good portion of practice focused on running the no-huddle offense.
- Brownies: RB James Davis caught a touchdown pass from QB Brady Quinn...QB Derek Anderson overthrew RB Noah Herron on a flat pass in goal line drills...WR Braylon Edwards is having a great camp minus his drop against Green Bay.
- Around the League: If you didn't catch it, Chad Ocho-Cinco kicked an extra point for the Cincinnati Bengals after their kicker went down with an injury. Ben Roethlisberger limped away from practice, but it isn't believed to be too serious.
Thursday's Links/Camp Sources
- Louis Leonard learns lesson with laps (Cleveland Plain Dealer, Cabot)
- Pucell hurt, Leonard hot (Akron Beacon Journal, Ridenour)
- Thursday camp notes: Royal flush (Orange and Brown Report, Greetham)