The Cleveland Browns will shoot for their first points of the preseason tonight against the Detroit Lions. Once again, the biggest question heading into the game is "who will start at quarterback for the Browns?"
|DETROIT LIONS (1-0)||GAME #2||CLEVELAND BROWNS (0-1)|
|Date:||August 22, 2008||Location:||Cleveland, OH |
|Time:||7:30 p.m. ET ||Stadium:||Browns Stadium |
|TV:||WKYC (NBC, Ch. 3) ||SBN Coverage:||Pride of Detroit|
|Radio:||WKNR, 1100 AM||Injury Report:||N/A|
Here are some pre-game notes to get you ready for the game...
- Chances are we won't be seeing Shaun Rogers again. It doesn't sound like he's injured, but rather we're giving him all the rest he needs to prepare for the regular season. The Lions do not pose as much of a threat on the ground as the Packers did, so we'll see how Ahtyba Rubin and company fare this week.
- Veteran LB David Bowens has not been practicing this week, and young LB Titus Brown has been out too. That means LB Alex Hall, a player many of us want to be the opening day starter, should get the start. We may also see Kamerion Wimbley shift to Bowens' side as well with Marcus Benard coming in for some reps too.
- Depending on when you read this, this next note might seem outdated. I'm expecting Brady Quinn to get the start. I hope Mangini doesn't go the route of "I want to be fair to both quarterbacks and give each one a start". No. It should be looked at as Quinn led two would-be scoring drives against the Packers and looked good in our offense, so he should get the start. If he does well against the Lions, then he should be named the team's starting quarterback. If Quinn struggles and Derek Anderson lights it up, you might need another week of practice and the third preseason game before making a final decision.
- I want to see our running game show some progress. Watching the Dallas Cowboys play Friday night, you could clearly see how they had a decent mix of effective running and pass-catching for preseason standards. Many other teams around the league can accomplish the same thing, so there's no reason we shouldn't be able to do that against the Lions. RB Jerome Harrison had been wounded all week, so I don't expect him to play.
- It'll be interesting to see who gets the start at center. Whoever starts the third preseason game should be the ultimate clue, but whoever starts tonight will be a clue as to who starts the third game. The rest of the line needs the chemistry with "one guy" too.
- Things have quieted down on the "sleeper" receiver front. Right now, Braylon Edwards, Mike Furrey, Joshua Cribbs, Mohamed Massaquoi, and Brian Robiskie make up five receivers. Between Jordan Norwood, Paul Hubbard, and Lance Leggett, I want to see which one or two will make the practice squad.
- If DB Brandon McDonald remains with the first unit, it's probably safe to say he'll start the season at cornerback. I want to see S Abram Elam improve upon getting beat deep last week too; if it happens again today, it'll really stand out to opposing teams come the regular season.
- For the Lions, WR Calvin Johnson is out. The No. 1 player our defensive backs will have to defend is former Brown Dennis Northcutt. Piece of cake, right? Also on the Lions is former defensive tackle Shaun Smith. I hope he gets pancaked often, but he'll probably be up against our second-string line and look decent.
- For the Lions, QB Matthew Stafford will start. Hopefully our "starting defense" doesn't get schooled by a rookie, even if he was the top pick of the draft. Our second stringers might have problems defending Daunte Culpepper when he comes in, though it'd be really nice to see Coye Francies make a few plays on the ball when he comes in.
- REMINDER: To those in the DBN Fantasy Football League: The draft will be held tomorrow (Sunday) at 9 PM EST. Make sure you're there for all the picks! If you can't make it, try to rank your players ahread of time.
This is the official gameday thread for the Cleveland Browns second preseason game of the season, as they take on the Detroit Lions. All comments regarding the game as it goes on and immediately following the game should remain in this thread. Enjoy the game, and GO BROWNS!!!