Just like that, Cleveland Browns mini-camp is over. Besides seeing if our restricted free agents will sign over the next few days, or the type of contracts our rookie draft picks will receive, the next major event for the team won't come until the start of training camp some time in July.
What went on during the team's final mini-camp session? Let's take a look with our Day 3 recap...
CLEVELAND BROWNS MINI-CAMP NOTES (JUNE 12 - DAY 3)
Mangini on Delhomme: As much as Eric Mangini has improved with his revelations to the media, he's still stubborn about naming a starting quarterback, isn't he? Although he gave Delhomme credit for the chemistry he is building with the team...
"I see the team buying into it and that’s the way it should be ," Mangini said. "It’s a partnership between the coaching staff and the quarterback. We give him the flexibility that puts us in the best position."
...Mangini said that both quarterbacks (Delhomme and Wallace) have done well and will get reps with the starters in training camp.
- Hardesty Takes a Break: After being praised by the head coaches this offseason, rookie RB Montario Hardesty did not participate on Friday after tweaking his ankle on Friday. Hardesty's injury is considered nothing -- Mangini stated that he held out many players merely to be cautious. Hardesty being out gave RB Jerome Harrison a few more reps.
Other Player Status Updates: Sitting out along with Hardesty were both rookie safeties (T.J. Ward and Larry Asante), and LB Scott Fujita. CB Eric Wright, who had "tightness" previously, was back on the practice field. FB Peyton Hillis was in attendance finally, but he did not participate in practice. He reportedly lost 7-8 pounds, so he'll have some work to do heading into training camp.
Another New Quarterback: This one comes from the Plain Dealer, highlighting another "gem" of an arm on the roster, this time on the defensive line:
Defensive lineman Brian Schaefering got the team off the field early by heaving a 60-yard pass through the narrow uprights. "He's got a gun,'' said Mangini. "Maybe we'll use him at the end of a game -- from the negative 20.''
Moore Making Plays: Although he's had some injury issues, TE Evan Moore continues catching passes, coming away with a few red zone touchdowns Saturday from the arm of QB Brett Ratliff.
- Comparing the Kickers: The Akron Beacon Journal has a note on the kickers, highlighting the fact that Phil Dawson looked sharp (hitting a 54-yarder) while Shaun Suisham missed at least three kicks and had trouble getting distance. This isn't a kicking competition; Suisham will probably be dumped once Dawson ends his holdout in training camp.
- Minimizing the Turnovers: After throwing a ton of picks in Day 1 of mini-camp, the Browns quarterbacks reportedly did very well in keeping the turnovers down Saturday, failing to throw an interception. The closest opportunity reportedly came when Sheldon Brown dropped a Colt McCoy pass (yay, McCoy got mentioned!)
- Raw Practice Footage: Here it is, just a little over a minute in length!
- Note: I recommend reading the first link listed in the sources below -- it had a few other nuggets that I didn't mention (like a one-handed stab by Joshua Cribbs).
Observations from Saturday's practice at Browns minicamp (Akron Beacon Journal, Ulrich)
- Cleveland Browns minicamp quick hits (Plain Dealer, Cabot)
- New-look roster appeals to cornerback Eric Wright (Plain Dealer, Cabot)
- Delhomme progressing, leading (The OBR, Greetham)
- Rookie Hardesty's good camp adds to good feelings about Browns (Plain Dealer, Pluto)