As we reported earlier today, the Cleveland Browns have placed safety T.J. Ward on injured reserve with a knee injury. The Browns also placed another starter, outside linebacker James-Michael Johnson, on injured reserve with a knee injury. Neither player is expected to have surgery; they just wouldn't have been able to play during the short amount of time left in the season.
When you factor in the release of cornerback Dimitri Patterson the other day (he was claimed by the Dolphins on Tuesday), that created three roster spots on the Browns. Cleveland fulfilled those roster spots by signing linebacker Adrian Moten and defensive back Prince Miller, as well as promoting defensive lineman Hall Davis from the practice squad. Here is a little bit more information on each of those players:
- DE Hall Davis - Signed to the Browns' practice squad near the beginning of November 2012. He was originally a 5th round pick from the 2010 draft by the St. Louis Rams. The weird thing was that after a good preseason that year, he was traded to the Redskins, who then proceeded to cut him one day later. At 6-4, 270 lbs, Davis could see action this week if Frostee Rucker's groin injury limits him.
- LB Adrian Moten - He was an undrafted free agent signing by the Indianapolis Colts in 2011. In 10 games as a backup with the Colts, he registered 7 tackles. He also had a brief stint with the Seahawks last year, and was with the Eagles for one game this season. If Moten is active on gameday, I believe it'll be as a special teams linebacker.
- CB Prince Miller - He entered the league in 2010 as an undrafted free agent with the Baltimore Ravens. Since then, he has bounced around with mostly insignificant stints with the Patriots, Ravens (again), Lions, Colts, Bills, and Jaguars. Teams must see something they like about him, but not enough to keep him around apparently. He played in four regular season games with the Lions in 2010 and had 7 tackles. I don't anticipate him being active on gameday.
This is what I believe will happen this Sunday against the Broncos:
- Buster Skrine goes to nickel back, with Trevin Wade being next-in-line.
- Usama Young and Tashaun Gipson starting at safety, with Eric Hagg being the rotational guy.
- L.J. Fort making his first start at outside linebacker since Week 1.