- "Browns turning up the heat on rookie receiver Josh Gordon" (Plain Dealer) - "Browns coach Pat Shurmur is dialing up the heat a little on rookie wide receiver Josh Gordon to get him ready for the opener, especially with starter Mohamed Massaquoi sidelined with a concussion."
- "Sheard determined to be dominant defender" (FS Ohio) - "The Browns have longed for a dominant pass rusher from the defensive end position for over a decade. They hope they've found one in Jabaal Sheard. The second-year defensive end from Pitt accounted for 8½ sacks as a rookie, but he thinks he left more on the field."
- "Trevin Wade receives golden opportunity to serve as Browns’ nickel cornerback" (Beacon Journal) - "Trevin Wade believes he has been overlooked, underrated and dismissed throughout his football career. He received only two out of five possible stars from Rivals.com when the website evaluated him as a prospect at Stony Point High School in Round Rock, Texas."
- "Shurmur irked by Massaquoi's tweets" (Morning Journal) - "Coach Pat Shurmur is not pleased with Mohamed Massaquoi, and his consternation has nothing to do with anything the fourth-year wide receiver did on the football field. Shurmur is upset because of a tweet sent out Friday night by Massaquoi. The Browns head coach is not a fan of social media."
- "Chad Johnson released by Dolphins" (AP) - "As the Miami Dolphins took the field for practice Sunday, Chad Johnson was getting out of jail. Hours later, he was out of work."
- "Andrew Luck opens Colts career in brilliant fashion" (SI.com) - "Colts fans may never fully get over losing Peyton Manning. If Andrew Luck keeps playing like he did in Sunday’s preseason opener, though, it will be a lot easier for everyone to move on."
- "RB Peterson activated off PUP list" (AP) - "The Minnesota Vikings have activated running back Adrian Peterson from the physically unable to perform list Sunday, with coach Leslie Frazier saying Peterson had done everything in his rehab that could be done working by himself."
- "Sparano: Tim Tebow role unchanged" (ESPN) - "Tim Tebow was more than a novelty act in the New York Jets' preseason opener. He was their best offensive weapon, escaping pressure to scramble three times for 34 yards."